• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Car Light Trails

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverfox

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Classic CC on Windows
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hi, Ive taken a stack of photos from a bridge and now want to layer them all together to get the full effect in one "blended" image to then refine. I cannot find a suitable explanation in the book, and by looking on YouTube it seems Lightroom Classic CC cannot do this and I must export to Photoshop. Is this correct or have I missed something that Lightroom can do ? Any help gratefully received as I am a complete newbie at Lightroom but I'm a fast learner :)

Yes this is a job for Photoshop. Lightroom can only work with and produce a single layer. Photoshop can work with multiple layers and merge them into a single composite layer. Once the single composite layer is back in LR it is just like any other LR image.

I'm curious about your Subject line and how it relates to multiple layers. Car light trails are usually generated in a single photo using a very slow shutter speed to "smear" the tail lights while providing a proper exposure to turn the night scene into a scene with more the light dots on a black background.

It would be a job for Photoshop and relatively easy there.

One would use different methods depending on if the frames are well aligned - eg on a tripod. Assuming so, you could start from LR's grid and choose Edit With > Open As Layers In Photoshop. Then in PS's Layers palette, select the layers except for the Background layer and change the blending mode to Lighten.

That's what I did here. There are two raw files (DNGs) and the final TIF, and the Layers palette. You can also see I masked the top layer to prevent other stray bits of light from appearing in the final result.

If the images aren't well aligned, open them all in PS and then run File > Scripts > Load Files into Stack, and there's alignment and stack mode options I don't remember everything (!) so I'd have to work out the exact steps if this method is needed, but I know this was the technique for more difficult cases.

John

Attachments

• SNAG-0006.png
    SNAG-0006.png
    318.2 KB · Views: 266
  • SNAG-0007.png
    SNAG-0007.png
    26.4 KB · Views: 261
Yes this is a job for Photoshop. Lightroom can only work with and produce a single layer. Photoshop can work with multiple layers and merge them into a single composite layer. Once the single composite layer is back in LR it is just like any other LR image.

I'm curious about your Subject line and how it relates to multiple layers. Car light trails are usually generated in a single photo using a very slow shutter speed to "smear" the tail lights while providing a proper exposure to turn the night scene into a scene with more the light dots on a black background.
Many thanks Clee for your rapid & helpful reply - I thought i would eventually have to go for Photoshop CC to accompany Lightroom.
Regarding subject matter - the road was not very busy so each image I took only had a few trails exposed. After taking perhaps 15 different images I will probably have enough that when put together there will be a good blend of red, white and indeed blue streaks as police cars came along. My camera settings gave a fine background of the bridge with no car shapes exposed as they travelled too fast, but their light trails give a "steady" focused image.

It would be a job for Photoshop and relatively easy there.

One would use different methods depending on if the frames are well aligned - eg on a tripod. Assuming so, you could start from LR's grid and choose Edit With > Open As Layers In Photoshop. Then in PS's Layers palette, select the layers except for the Background layer and change the blending mode to Lighten.

That's what I did here. There are two raw files (DNGs) and the final TIF, and the Layers palette. You can also see I masked the top layer to prevent other stray bits of light from appearing in the final result.

If the images aren't well aligned, open them all in PS and then run File > Scripts > Load Files into Stack, and there's alignment and stack mode options I don't remember everything (!) so I'd have to work out the exact steps if this method is needed, but I know this was the technique for more difficult cases.

John
Just excellent - thank you so much for your time and understanding. MUCH appreciated.

Just excellent - thank you so much for your time and understanding. MUCH appreciated.
Silverfox,

As you (and other newcomers to Lightroom and this forum) gain experience with Lightroom, I would encourage you to contribute your knowledge to the next beginner who comes along. Sometimes you take out from the pot, and other times you put into the pot.

Phil Burton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back