• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • The August 2019 Lightroom updates are now available. Lightroom Classic includes advanced GPU support, batch HDR/pano merge and more. Lightroom (cloud-based service) has deleted photos on the desktop/mobile apps, as well as video support and batch metadata editing on Android. The Missing FAQ and Edit Like a Pro eBooks are already updated for the changes.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom 6 questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom 6 - The Missing FAQ!

To help you started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. When you upgrade to subscription, there's also a Lightroom Classic version available.

Capture Time Sort Failure

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
I loaded very old photos and am trying to form a crude sequence by setting capture time for groups of them. When I alter capture time and select the sort to such, the photos do not order themselves by accordingly. I am confused.
N+13

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
Have you set the capture date/time on all the images in the selection? IIRC, if a file doesn't have a capture date/time, e.g. a scan or re-imported export that's had metadata stripped, LR will sort on the metadata date, which could affect sort order. Can you show us a screenshot that highlights the problem you're seeing, e.g. a grid of the affected photos, with the cell info set to include capture date/time?

rob211

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
You may find that it's easier to manually sort the images.

If you wanna preserve the order a good way to do that is to create a collection with all the images you wanna sort, make a manual order, and then it's always available. This gets around the fact that Lr can't do manual custom orders with images in folders and subfolders.

If you wanna preserve that order in a more permanent way, you could rename the images adding a sequence number. That is generally more reliable than using times in the metadata, since there are lots of possible timestamps in an image file. But only one filename. Or at least easier.

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Have you set the capture date/time on all the images in the selection? IIRC, if a file doesn't have a capture date/time, e.g. a scan or re-imported export that's had metadata stripped, LR will sort on the metadata date, which could affect sort order. Can you show us a screenshot that highlights the problem you're seeing, e.g. a grid of the affected photos, with the cell info set to include capture date/time?
Thanks for responding. The screen shot is uploaded.
Note the second photo (auto being lifted on the ship). First I dragged this from another location to this position. Second, I changed the capture date (to 6/1/66) in one attempt for the selected eight photos by opening "Capture Time" in the right panel of Library. As you see everything around the car changed. Later (not shown) when I return to sort by Capture Time, the car moves back to its original position. I hope this gives you enough information. >>>> oops, the screen shot uploaded failed (6.2meg) on this iMac. I see no way to control the image size. Any idea on this?

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
I see no way to control the image size. Any idea on this?
Use the preview app to crop and resize the screen shot PNG. I think it has been mentioned. Using "Custom Order" and dragging the images into the order that you want may be your quickest solution. Sorting in LR only affects the images while being displayed in LR. Viewing the originals in their filesystem folder using another application, you are dependent upon the sorting option s for that application. Finder for example defaults to file name order as do most image viewing applications. Many apps let you change the metadata element used to sort from something other than file name, but there are quite a few apps that don't let you change the sorting parameter. If you package up a group of files to be viewed on another computer then you have not control over what metal data will be used to view the image on the other system. Filesystems have no order to the files on the disk. In fact file segments may be scattered all over the disk where ever space is available.

rob211

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
You changed the date on several photos to the same date, but what about the time? Among images with the same date a sort on capture time is gonna look for time, and might default to the scan time or some other criteria if nothing else is available.

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Use the preview app to crop and resize the screen shot PNG. I think it has been mentioned. Using "Custom Order" and dragging the images into the order that you want may be your quickest solution. Sorting in LR only affects the images while being displayed in LR. Viewing the originals in their filesystem folder using another application, you are dependent upon the sorting option s for that application. Finder for example defaults to file name order as do most image viewing applications. Many apps let you change the metadata element used to sort from something other than file name, but there are quite a few apps that don't let you change the sorting parameter. If you package up a group of files to be viewed on another computer then you have not control over what metal data will be used to view the image on the other system. Filesystems have no order to the files on the disk. In fact file segments may be scattered all over the disk where ever space is available.
I think I'm making a hash of explaining my situation.
I believed I could a) do a custom sort by dragging photos around, b) select multiple photos (in sequence) within the new order, c) in the panel on the right modify the capture date by setting both a date and time, d) expect LR to increment the time by some amount serially through out the date for photos selected (which I felt I have done before), e) return the sort order to capture date / time and expect the photos I shuffled around to behave and remain in what was the custom order while retaining the newly assigned date. :( That is not what I got.

I have no issues with dates as they might appear in finder, other applications or file systems. My only focus is in LightRoom.

I will be traveling until the 13th so please bear with me if I do not respond quickly . . . and . . . thanks for your advice. N+13

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
From your initial post:
When I alter capture time and select the sort to such, the photos do not order themselves by accordingly.
If in the 'Corrected Time" you change both the date and the time to some value, all of the selected images get assigned the same date and time. LR will the find identical Capture Time for all of these affected images and will sort these on some secondary sort parameter or randomly within the selected images. If each image has a common date but a unique time then LR will sort them based upon the sort order of the time portion of the Capture Time field.

If your individual selected images have a unique date time stamp in the Capture Time field, they will sort uniquely and consistently the same way. If they do not have a unique date time stamp in the Capture Time field, LR can't use that field to sort.