Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
5.x
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Since it's been a week and no one has had any advice (original problem was described fully in thread posted January 7) I started experimenting and may have caused myself even more trouble. Online reading led me to conclude that a faulty external drive might be reason for my getting messages saying LTR (version 5.6) could not read the preview cache. On re-opening, LTR checks integrity, then shuts down. So I disconnected the probable faulty drive. Following online advice I then deleted the Catalog Previews.lrdata folder from my desktop drive, one of the two places where I save catalog backups. I then clicked on my Lightroom 5 Catalog.lrcat file, thinking this would open up the catalog. But I got a window saying "Preparing to install." I cancelled that operation, fearing it was going to re-install Lightroom and I would lose all my image data. I clicked on my desktop shortcut to see if it would open LTR. Naturally it could not
find the catalog in the disconnected external drive, so it offered me two choices: "Choose a different catalog" or "Use default catalog." Not sure what to do, so I stopped. Should I choose "Choose a different catalog" and then navigate to my desktop Lightroom 5 Catalog.lrcat file? Will it just open, or will it "install"? What about opening a Backup folder from about two weeks ago, before all these problems started appearing? I'm hoping that discarding the probable faulty EHD, and removing the Previews folder, will eliminate the cause of whatever was deleting my captions, keywords, and other metadata, described in my original thread. I really don't know what to do. Would really appreciate some guidance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back