• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Caption photos with lowest level keywords

becksnyc

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
LrC 9.2.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I am a visual learner and would like to create a slideshow of hundreds of insects with lowest level keyword as a caption.
All of my insects are keyworded with every taxonomical level. I don't want to change the export settings for everything above the lowest level.
Is there a way to automate this process, within Lightroom (or with an app or plugin)?
Thanks

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Keywords are stored in the Lightroom Database as a flat list with an optional parent index value. Hierarchies are built from the list and associated parent keywords. I can think of no way to list just the lowest level keyword.
Jeffrey Freidl or another plugin developer has a plugin that will assign tokens to the Caption field. The complete keyword list can be a token but not just the lowest level keyword

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
You could use the Metadata Wrangler plugin to strip all the non-leaf keywords from exported photos. See the Special Keyword Processing section of the documentation. To get the list of non-leaf keywords relatively quickly, do Metadata > Export Keywords to export the keyword list as a text file, edit the file in a text editor, and delete the leaf keywords.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Just another term for lowest level.