• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Capitalising KEYWORDS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monty

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
I am trying to add keywords beginning with Capital Letters but LR insists on demoting them to lower case (probably because they already exist in that form). How might I override this please?

If a keyword already exists, you can edit it in the keyword list. Right-click on it.

If a keyword already exists, you can edit it in the keyword list. Right-click on it.
Yes, thanks Johan, I have discovered that. What I wanted to do was find a way to stop LR defaulting to a saved Keyword whenever I type it in to the Keywording module Keyword Entry box. It's a hassle to have to navigate down to the Keyword List, search for the keyword, Edit it and then return to the Keywording module. I wondered if there was a short cut or keyboard shortcut that would disable the automatic "the computer says no" mode.

If Lightroom did that, you would end up with two versions of the same keyword. One that starts with a capital letter, and one without. I don't think that is what you want...

You only have to edit the keyword in the list once. Change all keywords so they start with a capital letter. From now on, Lightroom will default to that.

Also, if certain keywords already exist, you don't have to type them in all the time for new images. Look at the 'Recent Keywords' block and the 'Keyword Suggestions' block. Did you realize these are buttons? Just click on a keyword to add it to all selected images.

Yes that's a fair point. Trouble is that I've been using LR since version 1 and have thousands of keywords in my 190,000 picture catalogue. <Sobs gently>. Thanks for your prompt responses.

Monty,

I have not tried this, but in theory from what I have read you can do a global solution. I would suggest building a small test catalog to try it.
1. Export the full keyword list.
2. Open in the exported list in text edit.
3. Follow these directions to transform Convert Upper Case to Lower Case Text (and Vice Versa) on Mac | OSXDaily (Choose capitalize or lowercase as you desire)
4. Import the keyword list back into Lr.

Good luck,

Tim

Tim
:sick: Thanks, but on reflection, I shall continue to do this on a 'Need To Capitalise' basis just for pictures I send to an Agency. Life, regrettably, is too short.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back