• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

"Can't update this collection"

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Little

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
I'm exporting photos to Flickr, and rather suddenly I'm often getting the message from Lightroom "Can't update this collection". The photo then appears in Flickr, but it's still in the "New Photos to Publish" in Lightroom. This is a problem because if I later modify the photo and repost to Flickr, it's not recognized as the same photo by Flickr, but treated as a new photo. For what it's worth, I never had this problem before, but I haven't uploaded for a month, so something may have changed any time in June. To complicate matters, this behavior is intermittent; often when I retry (after deleting the photo on Flickr) I don't get the message.

Last edited:
The Flickr API gets flakey from time to time. This is why the problem is intermittent. This is not a fault of LR. It simply means that Flickr does not communicate back to to LR that the process completed successfully. You can try using the jfFlickr plugin by Jeffrey Freidl. It is more robust, has more bells and whistles than the plugin that ships with LR. I think it does a better job of error correcting too.

The Flickr API gets flakey from time to time. This is why the problem is intermittent. This is not a fault of LR. It simply means that Flickr does not communicate back to to LR that the process completed successfully. You can try using the jfFlickr plugin by Jeffrey Freidl. It is more robust, has more bells and whistles than the plugin that ships with LR. I think it does a better job of error correcting too.

Thanks! I'll give jfFlickr a try.

I am having a similar problem, I think (though my photos are not publishing, period) with LR5 publishing to flickr. I suddenly have a backlog of 30 new downloaded photos stuck in the publishing que.... everytime I try I get the following message:

Can't update this collection. An internal error has occurred: Error Domain=NSXMLParserErrorDomain Code=4 "Line 1: Document is empty" UserInfo=0x6080042738c0 {NSLocalizedDescription=Line 1: Document is empty}

It is driving me nuts. I'll look into this other plugin option although I am a relative newbie to Lightroom (I dont even know how to remove photos from the que). Anyway, I was going to start a new thread and thought it better to chime in here as it seems to be the same issue. If anyone has other quick fixes, i'm keen to hear them, thanks.

Replying to myself here for anyone elses' benefit.... I just downloaded and installed the donation pay plugin by Jeffrey Friedl memtioned above and it does indeed seem to publish great! Still very frustrated that the standard plugin isn't working but what the heck, I guess I will just do it all with this jflickr plugin now....

Jeffrey's "Export to Flickr" Lightroom Plugin

Thanks for the update terranova2016, and welcome to the forum! We're big fans of Jeffrey too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back