• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Develop module Can't seem to Install ICC profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick Dott

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Classic 11.1 (loaded 10 days ago)
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I downloaded Bay Photos ICC profile. This is the first time I've tried to load an ICC profile. I've been going to the Downloads file under My Computer to find the file. It doesn't display at the bottom of the screen like other downloads seem to. All the internet helps say to just Rt Click the downloaded file and select Install Profile, but nothing seems to happen. I have Lightroom open when I attempt to install it. Then I go into Develop, check the Soft Proof, click on Profile, the little window opens up, and displays sRBG, Adobe RGB 19??, and Other. Whenever I select Other, Lightroom locks up so bad I have to Con/Alt/Del and End Task, then reopen lightroom. Light room is pure joy and pure frustration all for $10 a month. Thanks for any incite! Rick

Lightroom should probably not be open when you install a profile. It doesn’t do any harm, but you will need to restart it to get the profile to show when you try to add it. That is at least how it works on MacOS.

Lightroom should probably not be open when you install a profile. It doesn’t do any harm, but you will need to restart it to get the profile to show when you try to add it. That is at least how it works on MacOS.
Works the same on Windows @Johan Elzenga. I recently installed a new print profile (right-click INSTALL PROFILE) but couldn't see it until I restarted LrC.

I down loaded another new profile from Bay Photo, went into my Downloads file, Rt clicked the new ICC profile, hit Install Profile, opened LrC and nothing. Did it all again with LrC already open, nothing, rebooted LrC, nothing. Rebooted the computer, nothing. One big thing I still don't understand is when I open the profile menu box all I see is sRGB, Display P3, Adobe RGB (1998), and Other displayed and when I click Other LrC locks up and I can do NOTHING with LrC until I cont/alt/del, then End Task and have to restart LrC. That doesn't seem right at all. I tried to install a profile a few months back and it didn't work then either and I gave up. Wondering if I need to re-install LrC. My problem with that is things don't seem to go well with me in LrC when I do new stuff that I'm not absolutely sure of and I don't want to screw things up! Rick

I guess one more question is how does the computer know where to install the profile if all you do is Rt Click and hit Install Profile? In Johan's first response he mentions installing it AND adding it or is this a misunderstanding on my part? I need to get this down soon as I am getting close to the cutoff point for entering a contest and don't want to send the pic out for printing until I have soft proofed it to see if it will look right when printed. Thanks again to all who reply. Rick

In Johan's first response he mentions installing it AND adding it or is this a misunderstanding on my part.
You understood it correctly. First you need to install the profile in your OS. That does not automatically install it in Lightroom. Restart Lightroom if it was running when you installed the profile, go to the Print module and choose ‘Other’ for the ICC-profile. That should give you a dialog that lists all available profiles, with checkboxes. Check the box of a profile you want to use in Lightroom. I believe this is what you have been trying to do…

when I click Other LrC locks up and I can do NOTHING with LrC until I cont/alt/del, then End Task and have to restart LrC.
I wonder if you have somehow either lost the directory where ICC profiles are stored or the premissions are wrong.

See if you can see the ICC profiles in the following directory. I've circle 2 that I recently added using the right-click INSTALL. If you get an priv error or not found, then that is likely your problem.

1640782833364.png

Johan; I went back in and this time went to the print module and did what you said but still every time I select 'Other' LrC locks up and I have to Cont/Alt/Del. And it also still locks up when I try 'Other' when I try to use it for Soft Proofing too.
Paul; I followed the path and found the ICC profile (with the date I installed it) along with 30 or 40 other profiles. When I select 'Other' no profiles become listed and LrC locks up still. So the problem isn't that I can't install it, but is that I can't access any installed profiles. I have the profiles but can't find them to select them?

I followed the link from Paul and reset the Preferences and followed all the instructions but no joy. It's still acting the same as before. Another link said to go in and Trash the Preferences file and then reload it. Haven't tried that yet. The link was from 2014 and for LR6 but I will look into in further, maybe also at Adobe Support? I seem to be real good at experiencing the hard stuff to fix.

Sorry you continue to have issues.
In case the issue is priv's, try running LrC as ADMINISTRATOR and see if that helps.
1640872011224.png

Still the same problems as before plus now it doesn't see or list as an option my external hard drive as the source. Maybe the name got changed?? Can I Undo Run as Administrator?

1. I keep all my photos on an external drive. It's a Western Digital Easystore 4TB spin disk. Everything else is on the computer.
2. I've had it happen 2 or 3 times in the last couple years where I plug in my external drive and the drive letter gets changed. I have to then go find it and reassign the drive letter so LR can find it. Victoria sent me instructions on how to do that.
3. I forgot that Administrator would only run the one time.

I found a process to reload windows 10 that says you don't lose any files or data. Would you think that may be something I should try? Not sure if I want to try Windows 11 until I have this soft proof issue taken can of?

I currently have Windows 10 Ver 21H1 19043. The internet says the absolute latest 10 version is Windows 10 Ver 21H2 19044.

I found a process to reload windows 10 that says you don't lose any files or data. Would you think that may be something I should try?
That will require you to re-install all your apps. It re-installs windows, and it leaves only your data alone. It probably isn't what you want to do.

I've had it happen 2 or 3 times in the last couple years where I plug in my external drive and the drive letter gets changed.

If you assign a letter toward the end of the alphabet to your external disk, Windows won't change it on you.

I found a process to reload windows 10 that says you don't lose any files or data. Would you think that may be something I should try?
I would suggest reinstalling LrC first before considering the OS. Sorry, I'm tapped out of ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back