• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Library module can't move folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

bronstaf

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
LR Classic 9.1
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
I'm using LR Classic 9.1 on a Mac running Mojave 10.14.6.
I have, inadvertently, moved two folders into a third - making them sub-folders. I've attached a screenshot
Screenshot 2020-02-11 11.02.01.png
I have tried unsuccessfully to move them back to the first level within Library and then on the hard-drive. Any suggestions as to how to put them back where I want them would be gratefully appreciated.

You'll need to drag them up your screen to the parent folder and drop them there. Lightroom automatically shows folders in alphabetical order, so they'll then appear in the right place in the list.

I tried that. I took them up to 2019 (the parent folder) and they returned to their place as sub folders.

I tried that. I took them up to 2019 (the parent folder) and they returned to their place as sub folders.
Do these folders already exist as sub folders of "2019"? Perhaps you don't have the knack of moving folders. (And there is a knack)
With your mouse, select just one of the folders in the folder panel. As you start to drag this folder the cursor shows a ghost folder and a plus(+). As you drag upward, the background of the possible target folders turn blue. When you get to the "2019" folder and it has turned blue, you can drop the selection.
If that does not work then in Finder, inspect these folders that you want to move for non cataloged files. These could be other image files or files of a different filetype. Lightroom won't move any file that is not in the catalog so it might not be able to move folders that contain files that do not belong to Lightroom.

Thought I had the knack. The ghost folder appears with plus sign. I get the colour against the sub folders as I drag it up to the parent folder and then NOTHING. It goes back to where it came from. I tried making a new folder (with a slightly different name) and I couldn't get that to go into the parent folder. I am quite perplexed.
How do I know if the files haven't been catalogued?

How do I know if the files haven't been catalogued?
Use Finder to look for non image files types. For uncatalogued image filetypes, use the Synchronize Folder function to let Lightroom search for image files that are not in the catalog. If there are those present, you can then import them so that they are cataloged. if you want to keep them you are done with that part. If you don't want them, then you can now have Lightroom delete them properly.

Thank you for your advice. In the end, I made new folders, copied the contents into these and then moved them. Wish I understood what had happened but ... I appreciate the time you made to help me.

If you had updated to Catalina, I would think you have run afoul of the new security features. On Mojave though, it might be R/W permissions

Yes, I thought of r/w permissions but couldn't work out why they would apply to just 2 sub folders that I had move unintentionally. Have resolved it now. Thanks for the suggestion 'though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back