• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Can't import from iPhone into LR v9 on Catalina

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan_2

Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic v9
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
Hi. I know that Catalina and Lightroom have compatibility issues. But everytime I try to import from an iPhone into Lightroom, it crashes. Sometimes it crashes just while creating the list of images on the phone (before I click "import") and sometimes it crashes after I click import.

Is there any possible workaround to this?

At this point, I feel like I may need to use another application (such as Photos) to get the images from my phones to the computer, and then import them into Lightroom.
Thank you.
-Dan

Hi,

If I want to import iPhonepics to LR (doesn´t happen too often........) I always use the excellent app PhotoSync, available for both Mac och iOS
Install them and the import never fails - even with Catalina.......
After the syncing you have to import to LR the usual way of course!

Alternatively, why not use the tools that you're already paying for (and which gives you a much more seamless process as well)? After taking any picture on my iPhone using the native iPhone camera, I just have to remember to start the LrMobile app on the phone. That will automatically add the new pictures to the app, and will automatically sync them to the cloud. On my desktop, the next time I start Classic, those new pictures will automatically be downloaded and added to the Classic library. Once you have the process setup just the way you want it, there's no simpler way of doing it.

Alternatively, why not use the tools that you're already paying for (and which gives you a much more seamless process as well)? After taking any picture on my iPhone using the native iPhone camera, I just have to remember to start the LrMobile app on the phone....

Recently, I have started using an iPad Pro as the front end to Lightroom Classic, especially for use when in the field and I don’t have to take a laptop along.
Prior to that I stopped using iCloud Photos on the mobile. Device, in the Apple Cloud and on the computer. On the Mac, It is necessary to de-install Photos and the Photos helper that runs at start up to fetch Photos from the cloud and anticipate you inserting a camera card or connection an iPhone or camera. Once you have the Apple Photos scheme out of the Loop, importing into LR Classic .
On the iPhone, the Lightroom app needs to be the dominant Photos app and you need to use the Lightroom Camera instead of the iPhone Camera app. This accomplishes two things: The Lightroom app automatically copies your iPhone photo to the Adobe Cloud where it is then imported into Lightroom Classic. Second, the photo taken does not go to the Camera Roll causing two copies to be stored on the phone when imported into mobile Lightroom.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you everyone! I actually forgot that Lightroom Mobile even existed, and I didn't know that it could sync to LR Classic. Exploring all of this. Thank you for the advice.
-Dan

I could use more help here. I can't get Lightroom Mobile to sync a video file and have it appear in Lightroom Classic v9. When I did a Google search, it seems that people have had issues with this over the years. Do you have any advice?

I was successfully able to sync photos in Lightroom Mobile and have it appear in Lightroom Classic V9.

When I upload the video in Lightroom Mobile, it says it synced and shows it fully uploaded on my phone. In Lightroom Classic V9 it said it was syncing 1 image for awhile (the video file was the only file in the synced folder) but once it stopped saying it was syncing, no video file appeared in Lightroom Classic V9, even though the video still appeared in Lightroom Mobile.

Any advice is very much appreciated.
-Dan

Alternatively, why not use the tools that you're already paying for (and which gives you a much more seamless process as well)? After taking any picture on my iPhone using the native iPhone camera, I just have to remember to start the LrMobile app on the phone. That will automatically add the new pictures to the app, and will automatically sync them to the cloud. On my desktop, the next time I start Classic, those new pictures will automatically be downloaded and added to the Classic library. Once you have the process setup just the way you want it, there's no simpler way of doing it.

This is exactly the method that I have been using, and it has worked perfectly until I got a new iPhone 11 and upgraded to LR ver. 9. Now, the syncing is random at best. It seems that everything that I take with the phone, either the native camera or the LR camera, end up in the 'auto-import' folder in LR mobile as before, but they are not syncing with my desktop anymore. Although, that is not totally true, as occasionally, some photos, randomly do sync. But, there does not seem to be any pattern to this. Not sure what to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back