Can't "Import from Catalog "

Status
Not open for further replies.

NathAus

Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
While I was on vacation I created a catalog of photos on my laptop. Now that I'm home I want to import this catalog to my master catalog on my Mac. I've done this a couple of times before but I can't figure out why importing is not woking this time.

When I select File > Import from Another Catalog and chose the catalog, I receive the Import from Catalog pop up window (see attached screenshot). However, I CAN NOT select the Catalog Contents (folders). As a result, the Import button in the bottom right corner is greyed out.

A couple of things: I tried importing the catalog while it was on my external drive, and when that didn't work I copied the catalog to my Mac HD and attempted the import from there in case that would make a difference (I didn't think it should), but the problem remains the same. I am unable to tick the check box and select the folders.

Another note: my master catalog lives on a external drive: a Samsung Portable SSD T5. Would this have any bearing on the issue? I don't believe it should but thought I'd mention it.

Has anyone had experience with this issue? I am missing something simple or is this a bug?

TIA for any help in resolving this.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 11.22.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 11.22.02 AM.png
    90.1 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Solution
Hi Johan,

If the catalog was already imported then wouldn't it show up in my master catalog? The physical files are not on the drive either. Nothing has been imported so what would be directing it to "see" the catalog and prevent me from importing it?
The images would show up in the catalog (so check in 'All Photographs' that they really aren't in the catalog), but the originals may not have been copied to your hard drive for some reason.

Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 7.21.30 AM.png
The dialog says that there are no new photos and no changed photos, so there’s nothing to import. That suggests that you have already imported it, perhaps when you thought that the import failed.
Hi Johan,

If the catalog was already imported then wouldn't it show up in my master catalog? The physical files are not on the drive either. Nothing has been imported so what would be directing it to "see" the catalog and prevent me from importing it?

At the bottom of your screenshot, I see this:
2021-08-24 07_02_10-Can't _Import from Catalog _ _ Lightroom Queen Forums — Mozilla Firefox.png

What happens if you check the "Copy missing files" box?

Hi Johan,

The images would show up in the catalog (so check in 'All Photographs' that they really aren't in the catalog), but the originals may not have been copied to your hard drive for some reason.

Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 7.21.30 AM.png

Solution

View attachment 17047
Hi Johan,

You solved it!!! The "missing" files were indeed still showing in the "All Photographs" folder (displaying an "!") Once I removed those photos I was able to Import from Catalog.

This raises another question: if I delete a folder from LR, including deleting the images in the folder (not just remove), does this mean that the photos still remain in the "All Photographs" folder as "missing"?

Thanks

if I delete a folder from LR, including deleting the images in the folder (not just remove), does this mean that the photos still remain in the "All Photographs" folder as "missing"?
Nope.

Hal,

I didn't think that to be the case, however that doesn't explain how the files were showing as missing in the "All Photographs" folder when the folder and images were deleted (not removed). Any thoughts on this?
It probably was the other round. The failed import did add the images to the catalog again, but could not move the originals to the correct location. So you ended up with new, but missing images, and so a second attempt to import the catalog caused the ‘no new images’ problem: the images were already in the catalog.

It probably was the other round. The failed import did add the images to the catalog again, but could not move the originals to the correct location. So you ended up with new, but missing images, and so a second attempt to import the catalog caused the ‘no new images’ problem: the images were already in the catalog.
Johan,

Makes sense. Thanks for your response and solving this issue!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back