• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Library module Cannot use the catalogue

Status
Not open for further replies.

zekiyagli

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Greetings fork Istanbul
I receive the following error message "LR cannot use the catalogue XXX because it is not writable and cannot be opened.
The HD on which the *.lrcat file and the the photos is checked and is writable.
What the message "the catalogue is not writable" means in this case.. I am attaching the message I receive.
Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• LR Opening error message.png
    LR Opening error message.png
    12.7 KB · Views: 278
Greetings fork Istanbul
I receive the following error message "LR cannot use the catalogue XXX because it is not writable and cannot be opened.
The HD on which the *.lrcat file and the the photos is checked and is writable.
What the message "the catalogue is not writable" means in this case.. I am attaching the message I receive.
Thank you for your help.
Do a right click on the .lrcat file, then properties, should mention write authorization. Do the same on the folder containing the catalog.
Bernard

As well as checking the permissions, you also need to check for the presence of the "lock file" (a temporary file created when a catalog is opened, and is supposed to be deleted automatically when the catalog is closed again). Using File Explorer, look in the folder which contains the catalog, and see if there is a file which has the same name as the catalog but with as additional ".lock" extension, i.e. it will be called "yourcatalogname.lrcat.lock". If there is such a file, delete it (delete ONLY the file ending in ".lock"), then Lightroom should start normally.

Do a right click on the .lrcat file, then properties, should mention write authorization. Do the same on the folder containing the catalog.
Bernard
Dear Bernard,
Thank you for your advice.
I checked the file and the folder. Both were write authorized.
The problem continues
:-(

As well as checking the permissions, you also need to check for the presence of the "lock file" (a temporary file created when a catalog is opened, and is supposed to be deleted automatically when the catalog is closed again). Using File Explorer, look in the folder which contains the catalog, and see if there is a file which has the same name as the catalog but with as additional ".lock" extension, i.e. it will be called "yourcatalogname.lrcat.lock". If there is such a file, delete it (delete ONLY the file ending in ".lock"), then Lightroom should start normally.
Dear Jim,

Thank you for your mail.
Yesterday I read in Victoria's book to check for the *.lock file . I searched the HD and did find a shortcut to the*.lock file. And I deleted it.
But did not find at all the *.lock file itself. May it be hidding himself somewhere?
I made a search on the second HD where I have taken a a copy by copy/pasting of the folder where all of my LR files were and I did find a *.lock file which I deleted.

But my original *.lrcat file does open, still giving the same error message:

-:(

I made a search on the second HD where I have taken a a copy by copy/pasting of the folder where all of my LR files were and I did find a *.lock file which I deleted.
-:(
When did you do the copy/paste :
. before the problem occurred ? then you did it when LR was executing, so the copy is probably not usable , the catalog might be in an inconsistent state
. after the problem occurred ? when LR was closed ? then you should find the lock file in the original folder.
Bernard

It can also mean you're trying to open a catalog that's in a zip file (e.g. a backup) so knowing a bit more about the background would help.

Thank you.
As I could not wait very long and would lose not lose so much I did restart from scratch.

I thank you all for your contribution.

Regards

Zeki

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back