• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Cannot open from backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

paula-pixelfoto

Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom 6
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I am helping a friend who uses Lightroom 6 (I use CC). He has just got a new computer and has all his photo files as before but of course when he opens Lighroom there is nothing in the catalogue. We tried opening from the last backup catalogue which is stored on his external drive but get the message Lightroom cannot use the catalog named 'Lightroom Catalog' because it is not writeable and cannot be opened.

Any help would be gratefully received.

He needs to copy the old catalogue to the new machine. There should be no reason to go to a backup.

If that cannot be done, the backup catalogue must be unzipped to somewhere on disc before Lightroom will open it.

Firstly I apologise for posting the same thing in the Forum twice. That's the problem of using somebody elses PC when I am used to an iMac and completely different keyboard.

Problem now sorted.

So, how did you sort it?

So, how did you sort it?
His new computer was built with an SSD and, as his C: drive on the old PC was still OK that was built in to the new one. That drive had all his picture files on it and presumably his LR catalog. He imported all the pictures into Lightroom and then pointed the files to the correct directory. Thank you for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back