• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Catalogs Cannot open backed up ircat file

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeWilson

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Lightroom Version Number
CC 2015.7 (Desktop version)
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Today I inadvertently deleted my catalog file. I then emptied Recycle-Bin!?! I have a backup of a backup, dated 3-16-18, on a NAS drive. After moving the empty Ircat file to a temp folder, I copied the Ircat backup file to the Lightroom folder in Pictures. When I try to open it: “…cannot be opened because it is not valid…. The catalog is not recognized as a valid catalog.” I fear that years of work is down the tubes. Am I right?
I always have “Test integrity before backing up” checked.

V: CC 2015.7 (Desktop version)
Win 10

Thanks

Is that backup perhaps a backup made by Lightroom at closing?
First, this is a zipped file, you have to unzip it first before Lightroom can open it.
Second, recent versions of Lightroom do corrupt the backup... Don't you have an older copy?
Third, don't you have regular backups of your catalog (and photo's)?

Second, recent versions of Lightroom do corrupt the backup...

I believe that backup corruption was introduced in LR Classic, I don't think it was doing it back in CC2015.7.

wetransfer.png

I believe that backup corruption was introduced in LR Classic, I don't think it was doing it back in CC2015.7.
Of course you're right but people do not always mention correct what version they use.

Roelof, all of the backups were made by LR at closing. Most of the ones that I can find were copied and pasted to a NAS drive or to an external drive. I have tried every one that I can locate to no avail. I usually let LR back up at closing. Unfortunately, by default LR backs up to a subfolder under Lightroom, unless directed to another location. So I have been in the habit of copying the backups to other drives. But none will work.
LR_ScreenShot.JPG
LR_VersionScreenShot.JPG

Victoria, I will try to send you a sampling of my ircat files. Thank you very much.

I forgot to mention that all of my image files are backed up to numerous devices. At least I have created a good file structure!

Victoria, I will try to send you a sampling of my ircat files. Thank you very much.
. The error message says that the file is not writable. This sounds like a permissions problem Either the "lrcat" file is set to read only or the folder that it is located in is read only. Check your permissions If you can write to the file and the folder, you may find that you do not have a problem.

Thank you Cletus. I will investigate this in the morning. I hope you are right.
On another note, I remembered that I have LR (same version) on another computer. My last import on the old computer was 11/20/16. The file structure is identical: I sink the "Pictures" folder on my D drives, and also to other external drives, using Folder Match. I would lose a lot of organizing ; collection sets, edits, key words, etc., but this would be way better than starting from scratch.

Joe,
I think I know what you might be doing wrong. When you unzip the Lightroom catalogue, you must copy it out of the opened ZIP file to an ordinary folder. When you open the ZIP file in Windows Explorer, it looks like an ordinary folder, but it really isn't. Drag the .LRCAT file to someplace else and double-click on it and see if that works.

Thank you Hal! I drug the file from a folder on a NAS onto my desktop and Bingo!, LR launched with my catalog intact. Should I put the file in the LR folder, or will LR take care of that for me when I close?

I have a couple of questions for anyone. When you close LR, do you back-up to the default location, or do you BU to another drive? Seems nuts to BU to same drive, even same folder. If you use the default BU location, I assume you then copy to other drives, or the cloud.
Also, how do I change the name of a library? From within LR, or simply change name in file explorer and open it?

Thanks again for your help! I feel like a heavy load has been lifted from my shoulders. And my wife thanks you too!

Yes, you'll need to move the file to your Lightroom catalogue folder to replace the one you inadvertently deleted.

Personally, I have LR back up to a different drive. There's a button on the backup dialogue that lets you choose a new location.

To change the name of the library, you change it using Windows Explorer. You need to change the .lrcat file and the preview folder (and the smart preview folder, if you have one) all to match.

Personally, I have LR back up to a different drive. There's a button on the backup dialogue that lets you choose a new location.
And Lightroom wil remember it for the next time!

To change the name of the library, you change it using Windows Explorer. You need to change the .lrcat file and the preview folder (and the smart preview folder, if you have one) all to match.
To rule out typo's i would rename the .lrcat file and than copy the namepart (for the period) and past that when renaming the preview folder (the part in front of .lrdata)

I drug the file from a folder on a NAS onto my desktop and Bingo!
Indeed, default the catalog can not be used when it is on the NAS (zipped or unzipped) so moving it to a local drive was the trigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back