• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Can you Import from camera device with Auto tone applied?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reidthaler

Reid
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
iPad
Operating System
  1. iOS
Greetings from Bali! (Usually from the United States)

I decided I didn’t want to drag around a laptop on our out of the country family vacation. I got to thinking and decided to buy an iPad mini 6 and couldn’t be happier. Not only can I quickly download my images from my Nikon D810 (36 megapixels) with a USB-C card reader, and very quickly, but it’s so easy to simply open up the iPad do some edits, and close it when I’m done. Most of my edits I’m doing quite comfortably with my finger, and when I do need more precision (rarely) I didn’t have to buy an overpriced $130 USD Apple pen. For 1/10 of the price, I found a rechargeable USB Stylus on Amazon. It doesn’t have tilt or pressure sensitivity, but I don’t need it and the point is very fine.

And then I realized when I’m traveling I can also use it to back up to an external USB thumb drive by selecting the images, and then exporting in Lightroom to files and selecting the drive.

And then to top it off, when I get home, all I have to do is turn on my computer, and all my images and edits will be downloaded into my Lightroom classic catalog. No more merging catalogs and hoping all the images land in the right folder! How cool is that?!!

My question is, is it possible to import from my card reader and have auto tone applied.? That would be a nice help.

I’ve made a number of development process (not that “creative kind“) but more of the edits I frequently do, which has made optimizing them obviously easier. Now I’m just hoping that Adobe will fix the issue of having to re-compute AI masks as they have on the desktop version.

Open to more thoughts and suggestions. Best to all.

Reid

My question is, is it possible to import from my card reader and have auto tone applied.? That would be a nice help.
Yes. Create a preset that applies Auto Tone and everything else you want on import, and then either use this preset as camera default, or apply it on import in the import dialog.

But I’m importing on my iPad, not a computer, so I don’t see any importing or preset options

I don’t see an option for saving auto tone in any of the presets. I don’t see it in Light or elsewhere.

I do not think this can be on Lr. Or at least I have yet to find out how to do it. :D
My solution is to apply the auto and chromatic fixes to a single image. Then use the copy/paste to all the other images. I do this on my desktop/laptop. In theory the options for the copy/paste are available on LrM however I have never tested it.

Tim

It doesn't appear to be possible using LrMobile, but it can be done using Lr Desktop, so creating an "auto" preset there should see it sync to LrMobile. My "auto" presets have synced to all of my LrMobile devices.

Jim,
Thanks, . Looks like it may be too late for this trip as I don’t even see any development adjustments in the Lightroom web version on the iPad let alone making and syncing a preset

Jim,
Thanks, . Looks like it may be too late for this trip as I don’t even see any development adjustments in the Lightroom web version on the iPad let alone making and syncing a preset
Lightroom desktop is not Lightroom web. Lightroom web is even more limited. You need to use Lightroom for the desktop computer.

Jim,
Jim called the iPad version LrMobile. Lightroom (for the) Web is different Adobe product. All three products, LrMobile. Lightroom (for the) Web and Lightroom for the computer (Lr Desktop) access the same library stored in the Adobe Cloud. Lightroom fDesktop is the only one of these that can put presets into the Adobe Cloud where they are available to Lr Mobile.

Yes, but it’s my understanding that development presets don’t automatically sync from Lightroom desktop to Lightroom mobile. You have to export presets from the desktop, then import to Lightroom cloud, then the presets will sync to mobile devices.

Yes, but it’s my understanding that development presets don’t automatically sync from Lightroom desktop to Lightroom mobile. You have to export presets from the desktop, then import to Lightroom cloud, then the presets will sync to mobile devices.
I believe you confuse Lightroom Classic and Lightroom desktop. Lightroom desktop is what some people call ’Lightroom cloudy’.

Yes, and it’s my understanding that you need to create the preset in Classic, export it, then import into CC, then it will sync with Lightroom mobile devices

Yes, and it’s my understanding that you need to create the preset in Classic, export it, then import into CC, then it will sync with Lightroom mobile devices
You can do it that way but you don't "need" to do it that way....you can simply create the preset in Lightroom desktop as I said in my earlier post, and it will sync from there to LrMobile.

Thanks, good to know it will auto sync.

I guess there’s no way to incorporate an auto tone adjustment unless I access my home computer.? I guess I’ll keep hitting the auto button instead.

I guess there’s no way to incorporate an auto tone adjustment unless I access my home computer.? I guess I’ll keep hitting the auto button instead.
Nope. We could post such a preset here, but unfortunately that would not help you because you can’t import presets in Lightroom for iPad.

So just one last follow up.

Even if I create a preset with auto tone on my desktop, sync it to my iPad, there is no way to apply it on import or apply via batch processing. It must still be applied via a preset to each image? If so that kind of suck considering all of Adobe's emphasis on mobile devices and accessing your images everywhere.

So just one last follow up.

Even if I create a preset with auto tone on my desktop, sync it to my iPad, there is no way to apply it on import or apply via batch processing. It must still be applied via a preset to each image? If so that kind of suck considering all of Adobe's emphasis on mobile devices and accessing your images everywhere.
No, that is not correct. You can apply a preset on import. See message #4.

Thanks, That's pretty obscure. You think it would be in the import screen after you select import from Camera Device

I do NOT auto apply on import. I have found that occasionally the auto is wrong; in a major way.
If I auto apply on the import I am unable to get back to the original image without rather painfully going through each setting and resetting it back to zero.
Since I am yet to find a good way to include chromatic aberration correction in a preset; I end up copy/paste these settings including the auto at the same time is no hardship.

Tim

If I auto apply on the import I am unable to get back to the original image without rather painfully going through each setting and resetting it back to zero.
To reset to the original image I would either use the Reset Edits option, or apply the Adobe Default or Camera Settings preset (whichever is the more appropriate).

To reset to the original image I would either use the Reset Edits option, or apply the Adobe Default or Camera Settings preset (whichever is the more appropriate).
When I last tried it, reset edits does not work. Reset edits takes you back to the "original". Original in this case is defined as what was imported and applied at import. Unless I completely miss-understood what @RikkFlohr answered me back on the Adobe forum.
Did not think of the other presets at the time, since I was trying to get back to zero on all adjustments.

Tim

Yes, you understood Rikk correctly. Reset brings you back to the camera default settings, so if you have set a preset as camera default, then that is what it will go back to. Because of this I have created an ‘All Zero’ preset to use as alternative reset method.

Yes, you understood Rikk correctly. Reset brings you back to the camera default settings, so if you have set a preset as camera default, then that is what it will go back to. Because of this I have created an ‘All Zero’ preset to use as alternative reset method.
lol, I never thought of that solution. I might rethink my flow!

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back