• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Can not find Hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lightroom only "sees" hard drives which contain photos that have been imported. What you you want Lightroom to do with the new hard drive?

I moved all of of the images that I had been using from the PC to an external HD and now I want to continue this. and also to "settle it down " as windows is keep changing the the drive letter !

I presume that there are imported images on that drive now.
If so then go to the Library module and specifically the folders subpanel.
Select the highest folder that is on that drive and R-click on it.
(It should have a question mark on it.)
A small dialog box opens and one of the option is: Find missing folder.
Select it.
In your case Explorer opens - navigate to where this top-level folder resides and select it.
Press choose.
That top-level folder and all the ones below should be automatically found by Lightroom.

Tony Jay

In effect by moving the files (outside of LR) you broke the link that tells LR where it can find the photos. You could have prevented that by adding the EHD in LR (see Tony's post) and then move the files to the new EHD within LR.
Once you have photos in LR ideally you should not move them around outside of LR (e.g. in Finder/ Explorer). All of this can be achieved within LR and LR will keep track of where you moved them to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back