• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Can keyword sets or a preset be applied during import?

Status
Not open for further replies.

geoffbutton

Lightroom Version Number
LR 9.2.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hi,
I am looking to add same / similar keywords to certain images during keywords, what is the best way to do this please. For example, main word could be animal, then dog, cat, rabbit ,etc.
Is there any way I can put just animal and have it populate the other words at the same time on the same image(s) ?
many thanks,
geoffbutton

In your example, "Animal" would be the parent keyword and "Dog" , "Cat" and "Rabbit" would be children of that parent. I believe that if you apply "Dog" to a photo, then "Animal" will automatically be applied (although you may need to set your view so that you see Parent keywords as well) An expert will be along soon to expand/correct what I have said....

Parent keywords are automatically used in searches, but you will not see them as assigned. In other words: if you assigned the keyword 'dog' to an image, then you will also find it when you search for 'animal'. Not vice versa, of course. A dog is an animal, an animal is not (always) a dog.

Many thanks for your replies, but I was looking for a solution that will help me speed up the process when I import images to lightroom. I know that I can use presets to apply various effects, metadata etc, but I don't know of a way to import common keywords to my images in one go, rather than import the image then add the keyword. Is there such a process available please? Many thanks in advance,
geoffbutton

In the import dialog you can add keywords. You can save this and other import settings as an import preset at the bottom centre of the import dialog. A metadata preset applied on import works as well. Of course this only works with the keyword ‘dog’ if all the images that you import are dog images. If you import a combination of dog and cat images, then you can only add ‘animal’ on import and add ‘dog’ or ‘cat’ later. Lightroom does not have Automatic Animal Detection technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back