• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Can I work on newly imported photos in a seperate catalog?

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Cicchine

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
I am a U.S. Citizen currently residing in the Philippines. It's quite nice here but the electrical power is not very reliable and the power gets pulled on me often without any prior warning. When this happens while I am working on photos in Lightroom it causes problems for my Catalog. LR then has to repair my Catalog which takes time not just for the repair but as I am doing now I need to build Smart Previews for all of my 100,000+ photos. What I was wondering is can I create a new seperate Catalog with a folder that I can import new photos into and work on them there so that if the power is cut only that Catalog will need repair then when I am finished working on the photos transfer them to my main Catalog with all the same metadata as if I worked on them in the main Catalog? Also if I can do that would it be better to work on a seperate external Hard Drive so that the power will not be cut on the Hard Drive that contains my regular Catalog? I think that would be better but I am open to any and all suggestions. Thank You all for your help and I look forward to hearing from you.

John

You can merge catalogs by using ‘Import from Another Catalog’, but you could still get a power cut right when you do that. I don’t see how an external drive would not be affected by a power cut when your computer is. The easiest solution is to only work on a laptop and use bus-powered external disks if you need an external disk.

Hi Johan. Thank You very much. Since my G-Tech hard drives all require their own power supply I cannot run them off of my computer. I am looking into purchasing I think they are called an "Auxiliary Power Unit" that will give me a few minutes of power so that I can properly close LR then properly eject my hard drives and turn off my computer. But I need to determine the amount of Wattage I need and then find a reliable unit. Thanks again my friend.

John

Hi Paul. Thank You very much. BTW I just took a quick look at the blog you sent. I will go over it in more detail and give a try as soon as I can. Once again thank you and I really appreciate the blog.

John

Hi Johan. Thank You very much. Since my G-Tech hard drives all require their own power supply I cannot run them off of my computer. I am looking into purchasing I think they are called an "Auxiliary Power Unit" that will give me a few minutes of power so that I can properly close LR then properly eject my hard drives and turn off my computer. But I need to determine the amount of Wattage I need and then find a reliable unit. Thanks again my friend.
What you would need is a UPS system (Uninterruptable Power Supply).

Hi Johan. Yes that's the name that I keep on forgetting. I will do some research and hopefully find one that can work for me. WOW a big help Johan. Thanks again.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back