• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Apple TV and Web? Then you'll love my new book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit Like a Pro!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • It's Lightroom update time again. Just some small tweaks as well as cameras/lenses and bugs! See this blog post for Lightroom Classic and this blog post for the Lightroom Cloud Ecosystem changes.

Can I synch desktop to laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KNicholas2

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
With the newly released Lightroom Mobile, I can synch my iPad with my home computer while on the road. Can I use the same synch technology to access the photos on my home desktop computer with the laptop computer that I use when traveling?

Regards, Kim Nicholas Seattle, WA

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
No, not at this time. Lightroom mobile will only run on an iPad at the moment.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
I have LR5.4 running on both my laptop and my desktop. I am syncing a Collection from the Desktop to see if I can reach it via the laptop. It is a tantalizing promise, though I expect it will not work (yet). The iPad is a useless device for me but being able to use a real mobile computer like you would an iPad would give me greater flexibility.

Last edited:

Rose Weir

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
clee011: Did you get this test to work out?
Its the first 'use' of this mobile feature that has caught my attention.
I have applied the 'network path' between desktop and laptop (NOT the Windows homegroup routine) I wondered if using the network path linking would fit into this mobile structure. BUT if it is only set up for an iPad the configuration might be slightly different.

Fleetpond

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
I was also interested in this so I tried the following:
I created a new catalogue with a collection of a few photos and synced them up to Lightroom mobile.
Closed Lightroom and made a copy of the Catalogue and Photos on my Laptop.

Then I found I could have both open at the same time and simple changes would synch across - e.g. Pick Flags, convert to B&W etc. Keywords did not synch, but I was expecting that.
The synchronisation was through the cloud not over my Lan, but this looks like a technology that might enable shared use (synchronised) of a single catalogue.

Early days, but very interesting.

Mark Hawes - Hampshire, UK

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Hi Mark, welcome to the forum! Interesting workaround. Yes, it certainly looks like the technology could be extended to computer syncing in future.

Status
Not open for further replies.