• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Can I speed up 7.3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dodsonmd

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic 7.3
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
Maybe it's just me, but edit changes seem very sticky and slower since updating to 7.3. Complicating factors: I do keep the catalog on an external Thunderbolt drive, but speed did not seem to be an issue with previous versions. Second complication: recent upgrade to Nikon D850, and the files range from 45-55 Mb each, but some previous files from a D800 were also large and editing was crisp and speedy using the same external drive.
Using iMac, OS 10.13.4.
Question: is there anything I could try to speed things up. Recreate previews, empty caches, etc? The edits all happen correctly, they just take 2-3 seconds to show up, whereas previously they were nearly instantaneous.
Thanks in advance.
John

You could try turning off GPU acceleration in Lightroom Preferences - Performance.

I would also try moving the photos you are actively working on to the internal drive. When you are "finished" with them, move them with LR to the external drive.
I do this, keeping my catalog on an internal drive along with a folder of "Photos in Process".

Interestingly, turning off the GPU helped a lot. My iMac uses the Nvidia GeForce GRTX 780M. Thanks for the suggestion.

Interestingly, turning off the GPU helped a lot. My iMac uses the Nvidia GeForce GRTX 780M. Thanks for the suggestion.
Yes, it sounds like a strange advice to turn off GPU acceleration in order to speed up Lightroom, but unfortunately it's true for many users. This option is so poorly implemented that it does more harm than good on many systems.

I was working with a file this morning that contains a large edit history... Lots of spot removal .. brush strokes... etc.... I was getting long delays and spinning beachball while using the spot removal tool.... When I turned off the "Use Graphics Processor" option ... It was very dramatic.. I suddenly had a real computer... with no lags, no spinning beachball.. Wow My question is why? Is this check box more for PC's and not Imacs?... I'm very happy with my speed improvement but I would like to know why?
I'm using 4Gz I7..5K 27in Imac ... latest versions of Lightroom Classic and Mac OS 10.12.6... 24 megs ram
Thanks
George

George,

The short answer is the CPU is faster than the GPU.
Longer answer, unless you bought a gaming machine, or specifically got a high end graphics card, most computers have faster CPUs. This is what generally helps in the sale. Very rarely do customers compare the graphics systems. As a result, they tend to lag and focus only on specific tasks (e.g. rendering a video).

Tim

I increased memory on my iMac from 8 t 16GB and did most of this.

Optimize Lightroom performance

I wrote this for myself using the above link and watching a few videos. They are just suggestions and I'm open to critique if anything seems incorrect.

LR performance Tips

1. Use a fast Ram 8 = slow 16 = OK 32 = good.
2. Use a fast internal and external drives.
3. HD should have a lot of free space. 100 GB minimum
4. Update graphics driver. Although updates are rare for Mac insure you have the latest OS and update. For PC check with Microsoft.
5. Work with one catalogue.
6. Keep Catalogue on HD if small. Consider external if catalogue gets big.
7. Keep preview cache folder in same location as Catalogue.
8 Keep files on external drive.
9. Keep as few Presets as possible. A thumbnail is generated for every one. This may be different with xmp and 7.3 now.
10. Consider clearing adjustment history.
11. If a folder becomes very big break it up into several.
12. Consider generating previews before working on them.
13. LR exit dialogue box. Insure check Integrity and purge are selected.

Preferences General tab
1. If you import Embedded and Sidecar - Select Replace embedded previews with standard ones during idle time.

Performance tab
1. Graphics Processor. Previous LR Classic CC there was no advantage to using it for lower res screens. Adobe has made changes to Classic. Test it to determine your devices performance.
2. Maximize Cache size to as much as you can. 50 GB is a good start.
3. Select Generate Previews in Parallel.

Catalogue settings - File Handling tab

1. Standard Preview Size = Auto.
2. Automatically discard 1:1 previews after 1 day or as soon as possible. I posted this somewhere else and some people did not agree. Maybe a month ei you are still working on it.

Metadata tab

1. Do not select Automatically write changes to XMP

General maintenance a few times a week
1. Purge Cache.
2. Optimize Catalogue.
3. Shut LR down a few times a week for an heavy usage.

Miscellaneous

1. Delete Previews Cache.
2. If you drive gets unexpectedly full, you get cache errors; artifacts and other strange things check your catalogue and delete Previews.lrdata. This is a rare occurrence but good to check.

I would add to this list to exclude from the live scan of your antivirus :
- The catalog (and previews) folder
- The LR cache folder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back