• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Can i remove my images from cloud to

Status
Not open for further replies.

happygun

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
  2. iOS
Hi, i have lightroom on iOS set to copy files from iOS to lightroom cloud.
I also have Lightroom classic set to sync some collections to the cloud.
I have been given a warning that i have exceeded my quota.
Before I delete files from the cloud, can I be sure that i am not deleting anything that is not on Lightroom classic?

Online photo editor | Photoshop Lightroom shows 4555 photos
All synced photos in Lightroom desktop shows 4427

Easiest way is to remove the images from the All Synced Photographs collection in Lightroom Classic.....that retains the images in Classic, but deletes them from the cloud. Note that if the images are in synced collections in Classic, removing them from the ASP collection will also remove them from the synced collections, so make sure you'll know how to easily find those images once they are removed from that collection.

I would really want to retain them in their collections. Is there an alternative to the method you outlined above?

If the collections are synced, then you cannot remove the images from the cloud whilst retaining them in a synced collection (all images in a synced collection by definition will be synced, so if an image is not synced it can't be in that synced collection).

If the collections that they are in are not synced, then when you remove the images from the cloud they will remain in their collections in Classic.

What negative consequences will happen if I unsync all collections? (apart from removing them from the cloud?)
Will all images that are in the cloud remain in Classic and all photos remain in any collections?

If you unsync a collection all that happens is that the collection is removed from all other devices, but the photos in it are NOT removed from the cloud, so you would still have to then remove the images from the All Synced Photographs to get them deleted from the cloud. So yes, if you unsync a collection first you will retain the images in that collection, then you could remove the images from the ASP.

I didn't realise you were trying to remove all cloud images, I thought you were just trying to reduce the amount of space used down to within the quota.

If you unsync a collection all that happens is that the collection is removed from all other devices, but the photos in it are NOT removed from the cloud, so you would still have to then remove the images from the All Synced Photographs to get them deleted from the cloud. So yes, if you unsync a collection first you will retain the images in that collection, then you could remove the images from the ASP.

I didn't realise you were trying to remove all cloud images, I thought you were just trying to reduce the amount of space used down to within the quota.

Thanks Jim, i am trying to reduce the amount of space i am using, but want to keep all photos in the collections they are in. I use collections for organisation, so if a photo is inadvertently removed from a collection it will cause me problems...

PS, what would be the impact of deleting the photos in the browser rather than classic?

It's the same as deleting images from any Cloud app, i.e. it will be removed from the cloud, but will be retained in Classic (though obviously un-synced). The reason we recommend removing from the ASP collection in Classic is to ensure that you are only removing images which have fully synced from the cloud into Classic. If you delete from a cloud app, then find that it hadn't actually synced into Classic, you might be somewhat upset.

Thanks Jim, i am trying to reduce the amount of space i am using, but want to keep all photos in the collections they are in. I use collections for organisation, so if a photo is inadvertently removed from a collection it will cause me problems...
Remember that photos synced from a collection in Classic will only be smart previews in the Cloud and will not be taking up any Cloud storage. The photos that you presumably want to remove from the Cloud are the "Originals" that were synced from your IOS device and which are taking up Cloud storage. In such case un-syncing a Classic collection will not save any Cloud storage.

You need to identify the "Originals" that have been synced from your IOS device and to make sure that they are on your hard drive and in Classic. You can then safely un-sync these "Originals". That will reduce the amount of Cloud storage used. You can then put those photos into separate collections in Classic and sync them to the Cloud as smart previews without using any Cloud storage.

I go through this process roughly once a week with my phone photos. They initially end up in the Cloud as synced originals. When I fire up Classic they get copied to my hard drive and then I remove them from "All-synced Photographs". I then edit in Classic, apply keyword etc. and put in a collection which is synced to the Cloud and they all get synced as smart previews.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back