• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

can i import and enble the lens correction during the importing process?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mantra

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Hi
i use mostly canon lenses and some nikkor lenses

may i import my photos and during the import enable to lens correction ?

saving a preset doesn't help me , because i have several lenses

for example TS 24L , 24L , 35L , 24-70 2.8 II L , 70-200 2.8 II L , 135L

in short i would like to know if lightroom v5 or v4 detect lenses and perform a lens correction during the import

thanks

You need to create a preset that has "Enable Profile Correction" enabled, which you can then apply during import. Select an image shot with one of those very nice lenses, make sure all the other develop settings are in the normal "neutral" position, enable the lens corrections (and maybe the "Remove Chromatic Aberration" option as well). The Lens Correction panel should then show "Default" in the Setup box. Save those settings as a new preset, then you can apply that preset during import and it should then work automatically to use the correct profile for the lens in use.

You can also of course then include your develop preset in your Import preset (if you use one).

Lightroom does know the lens - it is recorded as part of the EXIF metadata.
If you need to do lens corrections with different lenses then wait until after import and then filter according to particular lenses.
Once you have all the images shot with a particular lens then apply the lens correction to one image and synchronise the settings using "Synch settings".

Tony Jay

edit: I have previously had an issue with the solution proposed by Jim. However, I redid a preset as outlined and it works perfectly - go figure.
So, Jim's suggestion is a much more complete answer than mine!

Last edited:
You need to create a preset that has "Enable Profile Correction" enabled, which you can then apply during import. Select an image shot with one of those very nice lenses, make sure all the other develop settings are in the normal "neutral" position, enable the lens corrections (and maybe the "Remove Chromatic Aberration" option as well). The Lens Correction panel should then show "Default" in the Setup box. Save those settings as a new preset, then you can apply that preset during import and it should then work automatically to use the correct profile for the lens in use.

You can also of course then include your develop preset in your Import preset (if you use one).

hi
i load lightroom , select a photo , reset all my settings
enable lens correction and create a new preset preset-> +

is it right?

thanks Jim

Attachments

• lightroom preset.jpg
    lightroom preset.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 264
Yep, that should do the trick....just make sure your lens correction panel shows "Default" after you apply the lens correction, before you create the preset.

I have a similar preset, though I generally apply it after import, as applying lens corrections first had been known to cause a develop performance slowdown in earlier versions (LR3 particularly, IIRC). Should be OK now though (in LR5 it's Luminance NR which usually causes a slowdown with spot removals)....

Yep, that should do the trick....just make sure your lens correction panel shows "Default" after you apply the lens correction, before you create the preset.

I have a similar preset, though I generally apply it after import, as applying lens corrections first had been known to cause a develop performance slowdown in earlier versions (LR3 particularly, IIRC). Should be OK now though (in LR5 it's Luminance NR which usually causes a slowdown with spot removals)....
hi
might you please do a screenshot about the lens correction panel ??
would appreicate it a lot
thanks JIM

OK, the LC panel is slightly different from LR4 to LR5. Here's LR4:

attachment.php

It should just be a matter of selecting the "Enable Profile Corrections" check-box, and with your lenses the rest of the fields should populate automatically. But make sure you have selected a Raw or DNG file, as the majority of the profiles are for the raw file type. If the rest of the fields don't auto-populate, get back to us with a screenshot of what you see.

For LR5 you now have the Basic tab which contains the upright corrections tools, like this:

attachment.php

Clicking the "Enable Profile Corrections" checkbox should have the same effect as in LR4, i.e. it will enable the same option on the Profile tab. Or you can use the Profile tab instead as per LR4, and the result will be the same as if you used the Basic tab:

attachment.php

Is that what you were looking for?

Attachments

• Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    31.6 KB · Views: 336
  • Screenshot_21_01_2015_17_15.jpg
    Screenshot_21_01_2015_17_15.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 303
  • Screenshot_21_01_2015_17_16.jpg
    Screenshot_21_01_2015_17_16.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 296
Last edited by a moderator:
OK, the LC panel is slightly different from LR4 to LR5. Here's LR4:

It should just be a matter of selecting the "Enable Profile Corrections" check-box, and with your lenses the rest of the fields should populate automatically. But make sure you have selected a Raw or DNG file, as the majority of the profiles are for the raw file type. If the rest of the fields don't auto-populate, get back to us with a screenshot of what you see.

For LR5 you now have the Basic tab which contains the upright corrections tools, like this:

Clicking the "Enable Profile Corrections" checkbox should have the same effect as in LR4, i.e. it will enable the same option on the Profile tab. Or you can use the Profile tab instead as per LR4, and the result will be the same as if you used the Basic tab:

Is that what you were looking for?

WOW Jim
do you have v5 and v4 both installed ? could keep both ? about v4 i like the slideshow it's very fast ,i'm on w8.1 64bit pro
thanks so much!
really appreciate it a lot

Last edited:
On my Windows desktop I have all versions still installed, 1 thru 5. I use them from time to time for troubleshooting forum issues, though must admit there's not much call for LR1 problem-solving these days!

Yes, you can have them all installed, but on Windows you can only run one version at a time.

On my Mac system I only have 4 and 5 installed, but both can be run at the same time (which still confuses me from time to time!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back