• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Can I Drag & Drop an Image from Folders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kitjv

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
I am trying to avoid any catalog-corruption issues. With that in mind, can I navigate to a specific folder, then drag & drop an image into another application (specifically, into Topaz DeNoise)? Thank you so much.

I am trying to avoid any catalog-corruption issues. With that in mind, can I navigate to a specific folder, then drag & drop an image into another application (specifically, into Topaz DeNoise)? Thank you so much.

You must right click on the thumbnail of the photo and choose to see it in Finder / File explorer (or press cmd / ctrl + R) Then (outside LrC) you can drag the file to the other app.

Of course, using this method, LrC doesn’t “know” that you edited the file using the other app. If the app saves a derivative file you must then explicitly import it into LrC.

Check if you can use this app as a plug-in, which may offer ways to send the file from LrC and then return the edited file back to LrC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, Y.K.
Topaz DeNoise does indeed have a LrC plugin. However, when I use the Edit In command to send an image to DeNoise, the DeNoise app fails to open. And, oddly enough, a TIFF file is still created in LrC next to the original. So my original query was intended to create a workaround for the plugin.

Thank you, Y.K.
Topaz DeNoise does indeed have a LrC plugin. However, when I use the Edit In command to send an image to DeNoise, the DeNoise app fails to open. And, oddly enough, a TIFF file is still created in LrC next to the original. So my original query was intended to create a workaround for the plugin.

The plug-in probably creates the tiff which is then send to Denoise. Check if Denoise has file access rights to the folder(s) in question. If you are in a Mac you must grant it full disk access from system preferences.

Another thing you can try is to create an export preset, to Tiff. You can set the exported tiff to be saved in the same folder and be automatically added to the catalog. In the last option panel set it to open in Denoise.

I opened LR Preferences > External Editing and both "Topaz DeNoise" & "Topaz DeNoise AI" were listed in the Preset dropdown menu. Here is what I discovered: If I select "Topaz DeNoise" from the menu, the Topaz DeNoise external app would now open as a plugin from LR. However, if I select "Topaz DeNoise AI" from the menu, the external app will not open. Can't explain it, but now the plugin works! Thank you.

BTW - if you drag and drop the image files outside of LrC, that image file may not have your LrC updates in it. It will only have your LrC updates if you either have LrC set to automatically write XMP date to files turned on OR you specifically SAVE Metadata to File before you do the drag and drop.

On the other hand, if you use the "Edit in" option within LrC or an LrC plugin specifically designed for the other applicaiton then your LrC updates will be included in the file sent to the other app (in some cases you can tell it if you want that or not).

Califdan: I agree. The reason for my original post was based on my concern of subsequent problems associated with dragging/dropping from LrC. I have alway either used the Edit In function or Export to send an image outside of LrC.

I came across this video, by Anthony Morganti, which I think might interest you:

https://youtu.be/fQCg02DNqiU

Using that method has some drawbacks. When the DNG goes back to LrC it defaults to Color so you lose camera and Adobe colour profiles. I think you get the profiles with Sony but I know it doesn't work for Canon. I prefer to use LrC to do this so it retains my edits.

Here is a video from Topaz. At the ned he opens the Sony file but not Canon.

https://www.topazlabs.com/denoise-ai#tutorial-videos-4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back