• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Can I delete older catalog backup files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon.tsujimura

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic CC
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I normally run a backup of my catalog if I did any work to pictures. I have over a year's worth of backup catalog files. Are these backup catalog files incremental or full backups? Can I delete backup files if they are more than 6 months old?

They're all full backups, so you can delete any you fancy. On page 56, I recommend keeping a couple of older backups in addition to the current ones, for example, 1 year old, 6 months old, 3 months old, 1 month old, plus the most recent 4 or 5 backups. You never know when you might discover a mistake you made a few months ago, and want to retrieve settings for some photos from a much older backup.

My standard answer is that you can delete any that you won't need for recovery from "stupid user mistakes". I've gone as far back as 6 months to recover keywords on over 2000 images that were removed n a big mistake.

I keep mine without regard to space used on a spare disk. The disk is over 8 years old and will eventually fail. So I don't keep any critical user data and 5 years worth of backups is worth the risk of disk failure.

Similar answer. I keep them all for the last 6 months or so. Then one a week for those between 6 months and 18 months old. Then one a month for those between 18 months and 3 years and one per quarter for those older than 3 years. I guess I'm still suffering from habits developed in over 40 years working in Information Technology. Those date ranges are rough as I only go back and purge old backups when I happen to think about it. And, of course those backups are on a different drive than the active catalog and are also backed up to the Cloud.

One tip you - and anyone else reading this - may want to consider is this. Within my "LR Backups" folder, I have a sub folder for each full LR version (not dot releases) such as "LR5 backups", "LR6 Backups", etc. The reason is that if you do need to recover from an older backup, in most cases that backup can only be used that a single version of LR. If you try to use it with an newer version it will be forced to make a new copy of the catalog structured for the newer version and if you try to open it with an older version it just won't work. So, it's convenient to have the version number obvious from the get go.

I've written a small powershell script that automatically manage the LR backups.
It removes the backups older than "x" days, but always keeps the last "n" backups. These values "x" and "n" are defined in variables "LastMod" and "FilesToKeep" respectively and can be easily changed to meet your need.
On my PC, this script is started automatically every day.

Code:
#%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
#                   Script Suppress LR Backup
# Version 1.2
# Last update : 30/01/2019
#
# Purpose
# =======
# This script will remove all but the n most recent LR catalog backup
# files, providing they are old enough.
# If a backup file has been created less than 30 days ago it won't be
# deleted anyway.
# The number of files to keep is defined in $FilesToKeep
# The oldest aging to keep is defined in $lastmod

# Declaring variables

#$mypath = "S:\Temp\testremove\test"
$mypath = "S:\Sauvegarde\Catalogue_LR"
$FilesToKeep = 5 # Minimume number of files to keep
$jour = Get-Date
$lastmod = $jour.AddDays(-30) # Minimum aging days for the file to be removed

# Suppress all but the "$FilesToKeep" most recent files,
# providing the files are old enough.
$Count = 0
Get-Childitem $mypath -file -recurse | Sort-object LastWriteTime -Descending | Foreach {
    $Count = $Count +1
    IF ($Count -gt $FilesToKeep) {
        IF ($_.LastWriteTime -le "$lastmod") {
#            write-host "Deleting File" + $_.fullname -foregroundcolor "Red";
            Remove-Item $_.fullname | out-null
        }
    }
}
# Suppress the empty folders
$ListFolder = Get-Childitem $mypath -Directory -recurse | where { @(gci $_.Fullname).count -eq 0}
Foreach ($Folder in $ListFolder) {
        Remove-Item $Folder.Fullname -Recurse | out-null
}

# End of script

I've written a small powershell script that automatically manage the LR backups.
It removes the backups older than "x" days, but always keeps the last "n" backups. These values "x" and "n" are defined in variables "LastMod" and "FilesToKeep" respectively and can be easily changed to meet your need.
On my PC, this script is started automatically every day.

Code:
#                   Script Suppress LR Backup
# Version 1.2
# Last update : 30/01/2019
#
# Purpose
# =======
# This script will remove all but the n most recent LR catalog backup
# files, providing they are old enough.
# If a backup file has been created less than 30 days ago it won't be
# deleted anyway.
# The number of files to keep is defined in $FilesToKeep
# The oldest aging to keep is defined in $lastmod

# Declaring variables

#$mypath = "S:\Temp\testremove\test"
$mypath = "S:\Sauvegarde\Catalogue_LR"
$FilesToKeep = 5 # Minimume number of files to keep
$jour = Get-Date
$lastmod = $jour.AddDays(-30) # Minimum aging days for the file to be removed

# Suppress all but the "$FilesToKeep" most recent files,
# providing the files are old enough.
$Count = 0
Get-Childitem $mypath -file -recurse | Sort-object LastWriteTime -Descending | Foreach {
    $Count = $Count +1
    IF ($Count -gt $FilesToKeep) {
        IF ($_.LastWriteTime -le "$lastmod") {
#            write-host "Deleting File" + $_.fullname -foregroundcolor "Red";
            Remove-Item $_.fullname | out-null
        }
    }
}
# Suppress the empty folders
$ListFolder = Get-Childitem $mypath -Directory -recurse | where { @(gci $_.Fullname).count -eq 0}
Foreach ($Folder in $ListFolder) {
        Remove-Item $Folder.Fullname -Recurse | out-null
}

# End of script
This is an excellent solution for a persistent problem for anyone using a PC. Something similar could be done using the Automator.app on the Mac.
However, in my experience, 30 days of backup catalogs is not sufficient. I have had to go back as far as 6 months to recover accidentally deleted keywords.
An ideal scenario might be something similar to what TimeMachine does for system backups: 1 every 30 minutes deleting all older than 24 hours except for one per day for 30 days, then keep one per month in perpetuity.

This is an excellent solution for a persistent problem for anyone using a PC. Something similar could be done using the Automator.app on the Mac.
However, in my experience, 30 days of backup catalogs is not sufficient. I have had to go back as far as 6 months to recover accidentally deleted keywords.
An ideal scenario might be something similar to what TimeMachine does for system backups: 1 every 30 minutes deleting all older than 24 hours except for one per day for 30 days, then keep one per month in perpetuity.
This is what does my daily backup on my network, although I can only go 3 months back. It backups all my files on every machines, which includes the standard LR catalog. Therefore, my LR backups are not used to go back very far, usually no more than one day.

I am still confused by the terminology. In the attached screenshot, are each of the dated/numbered back-ups full backups or are they partials grouped under my most recently titled LR BU [month] Catalog Master? I have just re-started backups on a new HDD because of a crash so I don't have JUNE, MAY, etc. Master catalog BU's to illustrate and to View attachment 12975keep. Am I correct in thinking if each of these dated/numbered backups is a full backup, I can choose whatever dates I want to delete in order to save space (keeping in mind that I will want to space out my keepers in some methodical manner and eventually be back to, for example, one May, one June, one July, etc.) Thanks for any insight offered!
Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 10.46.11 PM.png

They are full backups. However, I don't quite understand some of them. Ones that end .lrcat.zip are ones that LR has created in it's backup process. Ones not zipped where you have previews and other files, did you copy these manually? Few people would backup previews, they take silly amounts of space (as your screenshot shows) - better to keep a series of zipped catalog files than less with preview files.

They are full backups. However, I don't quite understand some of them. Ones that end .lrcat.zip are ones that LR has created in it's backup process. Ones not zipped where you have previews and other files, did you copy these manually?
It's more likely that the zipped backup has been unzipped and opened into Lighroom, which immediately creates the Previews and Helper files. This happens a lot, it's not uncommon for a user to inadvertently be using a backup as the main catalog for an extended period, which often only comes to light when the user does a clean-up of older backups, which deletes that "current" catalog.

Good point Jim, I hadn't thought of the catalog having been opened!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back