• Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Lightroom Classic 8.0 and Lightroom CC 2.0 (desktop) and Lightroom CC 4.0 (mobile) have just gone live. My books are already updated for the changes.
  • Are you ever disappointed with your photos? Do you get frustrated when you’re editing because you’ve been told to move certain sliders, but never been told WHY? Do you wish you could transform your photos without having to spend hours in front of the computer? In my new book, Adobe Lightroom CC - Edit Like a Pro, you’ll learn:
    • how to to analyze a photo like a pro, saving you hours of frustration.
    • WHY you might want to move specific sliders, instead of just following recipes.
    • what the sliders are doing behind the scenes.
    • how to use sliders together, instead of in isolation, so you can get the optimal result
    The book is based on the cloud-native Lightroom CC desktop and mobile apps, but the principles also apply to Lightroom 6 and Lightroom Classic. The sliders are arranged into slightly different panels, but there's an included PDF that shows you where to find them in Lightroom Classic/6.

Can I collaborate with a fellow Lightroom user to edit my images from a wedding shoot?

Barigon

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
Can I collaborate with a fellow Lightroom user to edit my images from a wedding shoot?

I am in position to have plenty of work but not enough time to edit. Do you know if I can I give permission another Lightroom user to edit my images? Or do you know of a way (other than sharing original files via 3rd party) editing collaboration by two parties.
Thank!

Barigon

JohanElzenga

Lightroom Guru
Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
You are the copyright owner of the photos, so you decide to give permission.

What you can do is select the images, then choose 'Export as Catalog'. Check all the options in the export dialog and send the whole folder that you created this way to the other person. He or she can open the catalog in Lightroom, make the edits and send the folder back to you. Then you open Lightroom, choose 'Import from Another Catalog' and import this again.

Ferguson

Linwood Ferguson
Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
It's also possible to use smart previews when you send the catalog, and let someone edit only from those, which does not give the full resolution images to the 3rd party. It also detracts from fine detail editing slightly, but is a good solution if you are worried they may abuse the privilege of having your originals.

All that said, Lightroom is not really designed as a multi-user system, and all techniques to make this happen require care and have ways you can accidentally screw it up, e.g. the two of you editing at the same time, when you import them back one of our sets of edits are lost.

Victoria Bampton

Lightroom Queen
Staff member
Administrator
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
CC Cloud
My business partner and I have run a wedding editing business like this for many years, and smart previews work great for this purpose. It’s not perfect for sharpening, but it’s certainly close enough for weddings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk