• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Can I apply previously created image previews to newly re-imported images?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DHphoto

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
classic
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
Good afternoon all, I have an iMac 27 inch with three external hard drives attached to it. All are backed up by backblaze and drop box. Two days ago one of the drives died. Unfortunately back blaze did not have it selected as a back up item. Dropbox had a back up, but after downloading it, it is missing about half of it, maybe (guessing) roughly6000 images. I checked on Dropbox and the images are not there.

Here's the thing. I have most of the images in the original memory cards because they were just shot over the last few months. Most have been shown to the clients and some are already in online galleries and I won't have to do any more work to them... But some of these are in the middle of being shown to the client and they are still deciding. It's no problem for me to re-import these images (although I have heard other people recommend against this and and sometimes Lightroom doesn't want to reimport). Let's rule out the option of me getting data back from dropbox. I'm wondering if another option is for me to import the missing items into the new hard drive and somehow use the Preview files from the first dead hard drive to apply those settings into all photos that were edited, cropped, etc.? Even though it is no longer connected to the iMac 27 inch computer, that hard drive still shows up in LR with the Preview information, just all of the photos show up as missing. I would think that that is worth something. Any thoughts?

Previews are just jpegs with the edits 'baked in'. You can't extract edit settings from a preview.

Don't re-import.

If I understand, your LR catalog is usable but the images are showing as missing in the LR catalog. I also understand that you do have access to the missing images someplace. If that is correct, then copy the images to where they should live and preferrably in the same folder structure that LR shows in the catalog. Then use the "find missing folder" or "Find missing images" function to relink the catalog to the recovered images.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back