• Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Lightroom Classic 8.0 and Lightroom CC 2.0 (desktop) and Lightroom CC 4.0 (mobile) have just gone live. My books are already updated for the changes.
  • Are you ever disappointed with your photos? Do you get frustrated when you’re editing because you’ve been told to move certain sliders, but never been told WHY? Do you wish you could transform your photos without having to spend hours in front of the computer? In my new book, Adobe Lightroom CC - Edit Like a Pro, you’ll learn:
    • how to to analyze a photo like a pro, saving you hours of frustration.
    • WHY you might want to move specific sliders, instead of just following recipes.
    • what the sliders are doing behind the scenes.
    • how to use sliders together, instead of in isolation, so you can get the optimal result
    The book is based on the cloud-native Lightroom CC desktop and mobile apps, but the principles also apply to Lightroom 6 and Lightroom Classic. The sliders are arranged into slightly different panels, but there's an included PDF that shows you where to find them in Lightroom Classic/6.

Camera profiles not automatic

ChuckTin

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
I'm missing something (no dumb jokes, plz) - Why must I specify a camera/lens profile in Lightroom? If the exif data is there (and it is on 90 percent of my shots) and Lightroom and Camera Raw reads the settings (they do) why do I not find a Preference to "Apply Profile on Import"?

I-See-Light

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic 7

Attachments

Hal P Anderson

Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
Do you want LR to automatically apply the profile that matches the one you specified in your camera? Lightroom won't do that. However, if you have a Fujifilm camera, you can use the X-LR plugin written by John Beardsworth:
X-LR – Lightroom Solutions

ChuckTin

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate

ChuckTin

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Apples and oranges. The Color Space ie sRGB or Adobe RGB are choosible in the camera set up for Fuji and Nikon (been ages since I tried Canon, so I can't say) Lens and Body are specified in the EXIF data and should be specific to the hardware by the manufacturer unless you have them refreshed or moded with a USB dock.
Do you want LR to automatically apply the profile that matches the one you specified in your camera? Lightroom won't do that. However, if you have a Fujifilm camera, you can use the X-LR plugin written by John Beardsworth:
X-LR – Lightroom Solutions

I-See-Light

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
I am still not sure what you are wanting with your question!

The sRGB adobeRGB settings in a camera only apply to JPG files saved to the camera card.
Camera 'Styles' or 'Scenes' (Landscape, Portrait, etc) settings also are only applied to JPGs.
For raw files (CR2 NEF etc) files- I can set my Camera Default in Lightroom to use the 'canned' Adobe B&W4 Profile- Thereafter, every import of NEFs from this camera is automatically shown in the Library as B&W images (with the B&W4 profile)

Can you explain more exactly what you are trying to achieve?

"Why must I specify a camera/lens profile in Lightroom? " Perhaps because raw image files do not have a profile assigned in camera- the profile choice is yours to set in Lightroom's camera defaults. (Lightroom adopts the {Adobe Color} profile unless told otherwise)

JohanElzenga

Lightroom Guru
Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
The Color Space ie sRGB or Adobe RGB are choosible in the camera set up for Fuji and Nikon (been ages since I tried Canon, so I can't say)
RAW images do not have a color space. You choose the color space on export, not on import. What you set in your camera applies to JPEG only.

Lens and Body are specified in the EXIF data and should be specific to the hardware by the manufacturer unless you have them refreshed or moded with a USB dock.
Lightroom will read the EXIF data and can automatically apply a specific camera profile and a lens profile on import if you add those settings to the camera defaults. I-See-Light already explained how you do this.

Zenon

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
You can haver any profile, Adobe, Camera, Canned, ones you created using the method as described in post #2 and then selecting Develop - Set Default Settings - Update to current settings. You can only choose one profile per camera if you check the cameras serial number in preferences. You can also add Lens corrections. I have both those apply during import.

Zenon

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
Around here we call that Sausage Finger Syndrome.