• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Camera not detected when tethering to Lightroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

hello1

Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
Hi all, I found myself spending an entire day trying to tether my Canon 5D IV camera to Lightroom on my Mac. I have tried different tethering cables but my camera isn't detected by Lightroom. I updated both my computer and Lightroom but that wasn't the issue. I feel like this may be an issue with how my camera settings are set up. I have spent hours going through multiple online forums and implementing their advice to no avail. My FTP transfer settings are enabled. I haven't set up the 'Transfer images to FTP server' bit as I'm not wanting to connect wirelessly anyways. When I have tried setting this up anyways, my wifi network isn't listed for some reason and when I try connect with WPS PBC mode that doesn't work either. I can't find any clear guides online to help me connect via the other manual ways listed. Surely it hasn't been this complicated for everyone else??

I would appreciate any help I can get with this!

Hmm, that seems odd. When you say "tethered", you do mean shooting the camera with a USB cable and Lightroom directly receiving the image as soon as you shoot? I ask because you mention FTP server and wifi. It is actually very simple. I have 5D IV and just verified. I hook the usb cable from the mac to the camera, fire up Lightroom Classic, go to File menu, Tethered Capture, Start Tethered Capture. At that point a window pops up. Enter info about what to name the images and where to store them and click Okay. Then turn on the camera. It should be found right away. No special mode to be in on the camera. I shoot manual when I'm tethered.

If that doesn't work, it may be macOS Monterey security messing with you. Try System Preferences, Security and Privacy, Privacy tab, add Lightroom Classic to the Full Disk Access and restart Lightroom.

Hmm, that seems odd. When you say "tethered", you do mean shooting the camera with a USB cable and Lightroom directly receiving the image as soon as you shoot? I ask because you mention FTP server and wifi. It is actually very simple. I have 5D IV and just verified. I hook the usb cable from the mac to the camera, fire up Lightroom Classic, go to File menu, Tethered Capture, Start Tethered Capture. At that point a window pops up. Enter info about what to name the images and where to store them and click Okay. Then turn on the camera. It should be found right away. No special mode to be in on the camera. I shoot manual when I'm tethered.

If that doesn't work, it may be macOS Monterey security messing with you. Try System Preferences, Security and Privacy, Privacy tab, add Lightroom Classic to the Full Disk Access and restart Lightroom.
Yes, that's what I mean by tethering. I was really hoping allowing full disk access to LR would work but it hasn't unfortunately. Interestingly, image capture recognises the camera (ie lists it as a device when connected) but gives me a 'could not open a connection to the device module' message. I also downloaded Canon's EOS utility. It automatically starts up when I connect the camera but all display options are greyed out which is weird.

Check if it is something not related directly to tethered. For example, try turning off silent mode or make sure that mechanical shutter is in use.

Such settings often prevent flash from firing, so may have a similar effect on tethered shooting. Just worth trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back