• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

C Driving full

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayhardy

Lightroom Version Number
LRC
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Sorry im near here and looked but couldnt see anything to help on this
Mu C Drive keeps filling up when im trying to merge images in lightroom
I have stored both images and catalogue on an external drive
is there something i can do to move the lightroom away from c drive all together as my external drive is much larger

thanks for any advice

Just one observation, since I've never had that issue on a merge, is that your C: drive may be too full. I'd recommend running Disk Cleanup to see if you can recover space from your Recycle Bin, Temp etc.

Lightroom is probably using your temp folders to keep temporary data while doing a merge. Those are on your C: drive by default.

Bring up Settings and look at the Storage tab. It will tell you where your disk space is being used. You probably want to turn on "Storage Sense."

When you try to merge images, Lightroom creates lots of temporary file isn the working storage area of the C drive. This is the freespace on C:\ You need to keep ~100GB free at all times for these temporary files. Following Paul's suggestion to run Disk Cleanup, I'd also suggest that you can move the folders containing the cataloged image files to an EHD. You can do this inside the Lightroom folder panel without a problem. You can also use Windows explorer to move these folders but you will have to re-link the folder after such a move since Lightroom Classic will no longer be aware of the new location.

To add to the previous comments, you can mode the location of the temporary folder outside of the C partition :

1. In a partion other than C, create a folder for temporya files (call it, say, "D:\Temp")
2. In the search field of the task bar, enter SystemPropertiesAdvanced.exe and validate.
3. In the advanced properties window, click on the Environment Variables button.
4. In the Environment Variables window, you can see two variables Temp and Tmp, that are used by the applications to access the temporary folder.
5. Change the value of these 2 variables to make them point to the folder cretaed in step 1. Validate and close the Properties window.

From now on, applications (including LrC) wil store their emporary files in this D:\Temp folder.

Note that although applications are supposed to remove their tempory files when finished, not all do so. This results in a temporary folder that grows over the time. You can empty manually it from time to time (don't be afraid, Windows won't remove the files in use. Personally, I use a small script I've written that is started automatically at the opening of the Windows session, so the temp folder is cleaned up each time I start my PC.

For those interested, here is my VBscript SuppressTempFiles :

Code:
On Error Resume Next
Dim Debug ' Set it to display debug messages
Debug = False

Dim sRep, sUserTemp, sRootTemp, sWinTemp 'Will store the names of the directories to browse
Dim oFSO,oFile,oRep,oShell,iFicCount,iRepCount
Set oShell = CreateObject( "WScript.Shell" )
Set oFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

iFicCount=0
iRepCount=0

' Remove files from the temporary folders
sUserTemp=oShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%Temp%")
SuppressTemp(sUserTemp)
sUserTemp=oShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%Tmp%")
SuppressTemp(sUserTemp)
sRootTemp=oShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%SystemDrive%") & "\temp"
SuppressTemp(sRootTemp)
sWinTemp=oShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%WinDir%") & "\temp"
SuppressTemp(sWinTemp)
sWinTemp=oShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%LocalAppdata%") & "\temp"
SuppressTemp(sWinTemp)

MsgBox "Cleanup successful !" & vbCR & vbCR &  "(" + CStr(iFicCount) + " files and " + CStr(iRepCount) + " temprary folders suppressed)"

Sub SuppressTemp (sRep)
'======================
On Error Resume Next
If Debug= true then MsgBox sRep

' Suppress the files
For each oFile in  oFSO.GetFolder(sRep).Files
  Err.clear
  oFile.Delete
  If Err.number = 0 Then ' File suppressed successfuly
    iFicCount = iFicCount + 1
  Else
    If Debug  = True Then Wscript.echo oFile.name & " : " & err.description
  End If
Next

' Suppress the folders
For each oRep in  oFSO.GetFolder(sRep).SubFolders
  Err.clear
  oFSO.DeleteFolder(oRep)
  If Err.number = 0 Then ' Folder suppressed successfuly
    iRepCount = iRepCount + 1
  Else
    If Debug  = True Then Wscript.echo orep.Name & " : " & err.description
  End If
Next

End Sub 'SuppressTemp

To add to the previous comments, you can move the location of the temporary folder outside of the C partition :
I don't usually mention this since it is outside the capability of most windows users and problems can occur if the designated volume for the moved \TEMP is missing on startup or gets assigned another drive letter on startup. .

I don't usually mention this since it is outside the capability of most windows users and problems can occur if the designated volume for the moved \TEMP is missing on startup or gets assigned another drive letter on startup. .
Thanks for raising this point. I agree with you and I forgot to mention that moving the temp folder should only done on an internal drive, not on an external drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back