• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

BW develop tools to match Silver Effects 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braders

I have upgraded to SE2 and am quite happy.

However, i think its about time that this kind of control was included in the develop module of LR for BW conversions in the RAW pipeline.

You can always make your own presets or put in a feature request!!

Nik have a whole bunch of developers and resources working just on SEP and I doubt Adobe can match that as they have to develop the rest of Lightroom too. SEP is actually a very clever program with 1000's of hours of testing and development which is why it is considered to be one of the best B&W applications out there. If Lightroom had the 'power' of SEP it would probably cost twice as much too. Adobe have to balance the costs as not everyone wants that sort of control for B&W and won't want to pay for it either.

I have just upgraded to SEP v2 and its a great improvement over version 1, especially the interface which is far more slick.

Having said all that, if Adobe put these features in Lightroom 4 and it still only cost $99 to upgrade then I would be very happy :) I would be much happier though if they improved the management of the images. Collections are so limited they have driven me back to Aperture at present.

Nik have a whole bunch of developers and resources working just on SEP and I doubt Adobe can match that as they have to develop the rest of Lightroom too. SEP is actually a very clever program with 1000's of hours of testing and development which is why it is considered to be one of the best B&W applications out there. If Lightroom had the 'power' of SEP it would probably cost twice as much too. Adobe have to balance the costs as not everyone wants that sort of control for B&W and won't want to pay for it either.

I have just upgraded to SEP v2 and its a great improvement over version 1, especially the interface which is far more slick.

Having said all that, if Adobe put these features in Lightroom 4 and it still only cost $99 to upgrade then I would be very happy :) I would be much happier though if they improved the management of the images. Collections are so limited they have driven me back to Aperture at present.

Well, that's a downer attitude man!

Of course adobe have the resources - it's whether they want to use them or not. Frankly, i feel it is the next logical step for the develop module so as to keep a RAW pipeline workflow - after all that's what the marketing hype is all about. I agree that issues need to resolved like some annoying bugs and that the DAM capability be improved, but for another full release there better be more than those things in it to get my $. Moreover, Nik is a competitor, and Adobe are losing potential revenue to users who need that BW control.

Finally, if i was new to LR etc, and someone said to me you can pay $150 extra for the LR4 upgrade, and you don't need to buy nik's SE2 and you keep a RAW workflow, well then there's a good reason to justify. Little more harsh on existing users i know, but it eliminates the comp.

Adobe should ask, why are people spending 150-200 on a plugin that really we could negate with a few simple extra development tools.

Last edited:
Adobe should ask, why are people spending 150-200 on a plugin that really we could negate with a few simple extra development tools.

You think it is simple thats the problem :) , it isn't !

People buy Nik plug-ins to use with Lightroom not instead of it, hardly a worry for Adobe marketing.

Last edited:
You think it is simple thats the problem :) , it isn't !

People buy Nik plug-ins to use with Lightroom not instead of it, hardly a worry for Adobe marketing.

I would beg to differ, especially with the ever increasing market share of LR over all other raw software. Moreover, the old paradigm of using photoshop, specifically with new photogs in the industry is being slowly eaten away by LR. there is an ever increasing number of photogs who use SE and PS as a plugin to LR.

I would suggest most LR users use SEfex because it offers something that LR doesn't. All the reason to explore the 'difficulty' in improving the potential BW conversion in LR.

I agree that having the sort of control that SEP provides in Lightroom itself would be a welcome addition. I just feel that the Lightroom team have more important things to sort out first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back