• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Bulk reconnection of files marked "!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robin Page

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 11.5
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
I have been in a real pickle with my Lightroom set up. It started with the inability of my i27Mac to handle Monterey and therefore the latest versions of Classic. Lightroom had run brilliantly on the i27 using a 2 disk 8Tb Raid setup.

I wanted but could not purchase an M1 MacBook with 8Tb due to supply chain problems but needed to act fast so purchased the only M1 chipped MacBook which was available which only has a 1Tb HD. I decided that I would hang small portable 4Tb Seagate drives off the MacBook - one as the data storage and the other as a backup. Using Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) I made a copy of the Raid drive data - 2.83Tb which was an exact clone and CCC gave it the name Raid- and to my great joy my Lightroom lit up OK with all of my 144,000 files displaying and accessible. Then, after a month or so, I had a problem with the Seagate drive in that it would not mount. I consulted Dr Google and purchased gold plated connectors for the Seagate but still no joy. My IT man, who is not Lightroom savvy, managed to get the Seagate to mount after running 2 Disk Utility first aid repairs but warned me somewhat amusingly saying, "there are only two types of disk in this world, one that is broken and one that is about to break". So after more research I purchased two LaCie Rugged 5Tb external drives and two high capacity USB C cables. I need to travel with my setup and thus the physically smaller drives were chosen.

Using CCC I did a backup of the Seagate drive to one of the LaCies with the view of using the other as a new backup. That file transfer took 28 hours and when I opened up my catalogue from the LaCie my 144,000 files were there BUT none of the images were connected. Thinking that Lightroom was looking for a drive named Raid I renamed the drive but on opening Lightroom the files still do not connect.

Is there a way I can reconnect the catalogue to the data? There is no way I am going to connect 144,000 files manually. I have multiple backups now and know that I have not lost anything but I need to get back to work on Lightroom. Lightroom is still working using my previously repaired Seagate drive but I need to get the new LaCie drives working and keep the Seagate as security backups as of 1st August which was my endpoint with the i27. Fortunately, since that date I have been travelling (2 months) and using a temporary catalogue which is using the MacBook HD and is backed up to an SSD drive. Once I have my main catalogue running happily I will bring the temporary catalogue into the main.

Sorry this is a bit long winded but it is a complicated story. I hope there is a relatively simple solution.

Sorry I have been off the air and just back to find this reply for which I am grateful Johan. I seem to have fixed the problem with the advice given. I say seem as I need to scroll through the gallery and ensure that there are not pockets of disconnected files.

Rather than scrolling through your entire library, simply use the Library menu item "Find All Missing Photos". That will populate the grid with any images that LrC thinks are "missing", allowing you to investigate the cause.

In which case you need to figure out if there are still some folders missing, or if those 3840 images are all individual images from lots of different folders. Try expanding all the folders in the Folders Panel and scroll down looking for missing folders (greyed out with an overlaid "?" mark). Hopefully you'll find a part of the folder structure that hasn't been reconnected yet.

In which case you need to figure out if there are still some folders missing, or if those 3840 images are all individual images from lots of different folders. Try expanding all the folders in the Folders Panel and scroll down looking for missing folders (greyed out with an overlaid "?" mark). Hopefully you'll find a part of the folder structure that hasn't been reconnected yet.
Thanks Jim, I am going to see if the RAID disks that I transferred from is also missing the files meaning I have copied the problem and that it has not arisen from the copy process itself. I'll stay calm and progressively work through it. Following your advice I find that 10 folders are culprits, that is going to be a lot easier to fix than I had been dreading. Praise to you and others who help others on these forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back