Bug, Quirk or User Error?

• Thread starter Deleted member 39308
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 39308

Hi

Not sure I understand Lightroom in this scenario. Using John's collection concept for managing workflow I create a new virtual copy as follows:

1) Create new virtual copy in folder - Lightroom adds to catalogue, I can see the virtual copy in the Grid view of the folder (I am not stacking).

2) Create new virtual copy whilst using a collection e.g. 0.00 Current Work (part of Overview collection set)- Lightroom adds to catalogue and automatically adds it to 0.00 Current Work collection. Makes the workflow flow.

3) Create new virtual copy using a smart collection e.g. 0.10 Current Picks which is also part of Overview Collection set and selects one star raw files in 0.00 Current Work Collection. Lightroom creates virtual copy but does not add to 0.00 Current Work collection. Difficult to find it, have to go to the folder the master file is in and add it into the 0.00 Current Work Collection. Workflow is not flowing.

I can just about get why item 3 is as it is, but this destroys the workflow. I am doing something wrong?

You are not doing anything wrong. It is the way it is designed to work If you create a VC inside a static collection, LR assigns it to that collection (Earlier LR versions did not do this) In Folder view, the Master copy and the virtual copy are assigned to the same underlying image file. That image file resides in the open folder.
Smart Collections are different. Membership is determined by the criteria for that Smart collection. If the Master copy of the image (or Virtual copy of the image) meets the criteria, the image is assigned to the collection. If the newly created VC does not meet the criteria, then it is not assigned to the collection. What if it meets the criteria but does not immediately show up? Try refreshing the Smart Collection.

I guess for the workflow to work as I hoped I would need either:

1) Lightroom to automatically add the virtual copy to the Collection that the Smart Collection is the child of

2) An easy means to find the newly created virtual copies

At the moment the workflow to use to use a smart collection of one star within the Collection: 0.00 Current Collection does not work as a workflow, the virtual copies just disappear.

Reading about Capture One I believe that it does have a parent / child relationship for collections which would make the workflow so much more natural and easy. Although there are numerous reasons not to switch to Capture One which means I am stuck with Lightroom or I could switch back to Bridge.

I can see how to create a smart collection which can find all images not in the current work collection. In fact I use this, but wondering how or if there is a need to test for virtual copy....
{None of the Following is true}
(Source Collection contains "current work"}

Yes, in order to have the VC show up in the "0.10 Current Picks" it needs to be a member of the static Collection "0.00 Current Work" collection since that is the prime criteria for the smart collection "0.10 Current Picks". There is no way for LR to anticipate that you want the newly created VC to be assigned to "0.00 Current Work".
To get around this, I created a smart collection called "00.10 Recently Added Not in CWT"
Code:
s = {
    id = "B3948CD8-AB1B-48BB-B91A-7C3153DB4852",
    internalName = "00.10 Recently Added Not in CWT",
    title = "00.10 Recently Added Not in CWT",
    type = "LibrarySmartCollection",
    value = {
        {
            criteria = "collection",
            operation = "noneOf",
            value = "00.00 Current Work Target",
            value2 = "",
        },
        {
            criteria = "captureTime",
            operation = "inLast",
            value = 90,
            value2 = 1,
            value_units = "days",
        },
        {
            {
                criteria = "labelColor",
                operation = "==",
                value = 5,
            },
            {
                criteria = "labelColor",
                operation = "==",
                value = 4,
            },
            combine = "exclude",
        },
        combine = "intersect",
    },
    version = 0,
}
Any time this Smart Collection has a non zero value, I know to add those images to mye static "Current Work Target". collection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back