Brush tool improvements

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatrickC

Now that I have a faster system, I find I am using the Brush tool much more, eg to burn in out-of-gamut highlights instead of using Highlight Recovery. It's great, but a little limited and could be improved.

Most frustrating is how the auto mask works. There needs to be a 'feather' option to soften the edges of the mask, because as it is now it produces some really nasty edge artefacts in any area without a clearly defined edge. It would also be an improvement to be able to select a single reference point for the mask, rather than taking the reference from the centre of the brush, and to be able to set a sensitivity, like using the Magic Wand tool in Photoshop.

The 'O' toggle to view the mask is great, and using Alt with the brush to reduce the mask is very helpful.

One other thing I'd like is to be able to collapse all of the brush strokes used to create the mask once I'm finished into a single history step.

If this gets agreement I'll post it as a feature request with Adobe.

Patrick Cunningham

Patrick, the feather option is already there; Second slider above the Auto Mask checkbox. For sensitivity, there is the Flow slider, first slider above the Auto Mask checkbox and the Density slider below. You may want to lower the values and then rub the mouse to add effect. If you do not see those sliders, maybe you have a little triangle pointing left beside the "Erase" word in the "Brush: A B" panel. Click the triangle to reveal.

Different kind of feather, I think Denis. I think Patrick wants the AutoMask edge feathered, which the existing brush feathering doesn't solve - and I have to say, I'd agree with Patrick.

Correct Victoria!

And the sensitivity I was thinking of is the sensitivity of the auto mask, ie how close to the source a colour needs to be to fall within the automatically masked area.

Patrick Cunningham

I agree with these suggestions. I would also like to see the settings in both the adjustment brush and graduated filter tool not be remembered from the last time I used the tools.

Well thought out and described Patrick, would get my tick a yes some very nasty edges are produced at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back