• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Brush adjustment disappeared from Linear Gradient Mask option box

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrishowe

Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom (desktop cloud based)
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hi - suddenly when I create a gradient mask, the option to brush some of it away has disappeared - all I have is - the mask icon/create new mask/show overlay ??? - any ideas where it went?

The [Subtract] button will offer you a choice of tools to erase parts of the Gradient.
It only appears IF you have actually drawn/painted a Gradient on the image!
2022-05-14 07_30_15-Lightroom Catalog-v11 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Develop.jpg

2022-05-14 07_31_06-Window.jpg

2022-05-14 07_34_45-Lightroom Catalog-v11 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Develop.jpg

The local adjustment tools have changed. In the past, you could brush directly in the gradient. That created unwanted problems. If you ever brushed too much, and wanted to undo that later, you could not recreate the gradient in that area. In other words: brushing in a gradient was destructive. The new masking tools are non-destructive in that effect. Your brush is a separate sub-mask. It’s like a new layer, that is either added or subtracted. If you remove something in that brush layer, the underlying gradient is revealed again.

Chris, if you haven't already done so, grab the latest Edit Like a Pro book from the Members Area. We completely rewrote the Masking section, and one of the lessons covers combining different types of selection tools in the same mask.

Chris, if you haven't already done so, grab the latest Edit Like a Pro book from the Members Area. We completely rewrote the Masking section, and one of the lessons covers combining different types of selection tools in the same mask.
Thanks, but my problem is this:
mask issue 150522.jpg

ie the option to add or subtract from the mask with a brush has disappeared!?

Ah good one, I’ll add that in.

I’m not at my desktop right now, but from memory, click on the mask thumbnail and the buttons will reappear.

Ah good one, I’ll add that in.

I’m not at my desktop right now, but from memory, click on the mask thumbnail and the buttons will reappear.
As you see from my image above I am on the mask thumbnail - nothing reappears ?

Back at my desk. Yes, I can see the mask is selected, but just try clicking on it? That should open it up.

I can see it now - I may be mistaken but I am sure I was clicking on the masks before & it didnt appear??? Thanks again.

1652714732573.png

Ah good. Yeah weird it wasn't showing up when you clicked before, maybe it was having a funny five minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back