Both JPEG and RAW - renaming files/photos?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Hi - just shot a wedding and went both JPEG and RAW but not in a direct 1-for-1 relationship. So not all RAWs have a JPEG equivalent. In any case, I was hoping to rename all the files after import to something else (not that it really matters...I suppose...) - it seems to me that LR just numbers consecutively so a JPEG next to a RAW would get XXX-01 and XXX-02 even though they're the same image. Correct? When, I suppose, what my brain was hoping for would be XXX-01.JPEG and XXX-01.NEF for instance

I suppose I'll just have to keep originally-imported file names and better workflow next time.

Jeff

I assume from that description you are trying to rename using sequence numbers, yes? If you have enabled the Preferences setting to "Treat JPEG files next to Raw files as separate photos", then that's exactly what you get, i.e. Lightroom will treat a "paired" Jpeg and Nef as two separate and independent files.....hence the naming sequence that you didn't want.

I haven't tested this, but if that option is unchecked, then the Jpeg and Nef "pair" will be treated as a pair, in which case renaming to XXX-01.NEF should also result in the associated jpeg being named XXX-01.JPG. But, the problem with this approach is that the Jpeg is no longer a separate and independent file, it is in fact invisible to you in Lightroom....all that happens is that Lightroom maintains that "paired" relationship so that any move, rename or delete operation on the Raw file will be also applied to the Jpeg.

Thanks, Jim. That's how I figure it as well. I've often 'gone looking' for the JPEGs (to be honest, sometimes the JPEGs are what I am using depending on the project because sat/contrast adjustments are already 'making it look better' than the RAW when I'm in a quick turnaround or sending clients proofs) and couldn't see them so have set it to separate photos selection. Oh well, live and learn.

If quick turnaround is what's needed, then set a develop setting in the import module. Then you can have sat/contrast adjustments on the raw files by default after import. You can of course then override that default setting when you want to "develop" the raw images later. You wouldn't need the jpg files then.

If quick turnaround is what's needed, then set a develop setting in the import module. Then you can have sat/contrast adjustments on the raw files by default after import. You can of course then override that default setting when you want to "develop" the raw images later. You wouldn't need the jpg files then.
Works for me. I used to shoot RAW+JPEG so that I could share a Quick Look. I find that a default develop preset on import gives me the same experience.

For years I've shot JPGs almost exclusively because of my naming scheme & the very renaming problem that Jeff mentioned. I now have LR4. It sounds like I can just set the preference to "treat as 1"; rename & then set back to "treat as separate files".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back