• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Border problem see photo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
As you can see from the file I attached I'm having a problem and don't want to waste anymore red river paper. Yes I know I should have done my trials on cheaper paper but didn't run into this problem printing form 4 x 6 before. Can someone help ?

Attachments

• IMG_0628.JPG
    IMG_0628.JPG
    257.1 KB · Views: 412
It would help to know the brand and model of your printer, the LR settings including the cropped dimensions in pixels of the image and the Printer settings. Presumably, you are trying to do borderless printing and have cropped the image to fit on the chosen paper size, To manage this, is a function of getting the settings right in both LR and the printer driver.

It's a canon pixma pro 100. Well yea I realize that getting the settings right in both LR and the printer driver are necessary that's what I'm trying to figure out. Not sure what the pixels have to do with it and I'm not sure what they are at the moment. It's fine I have a guy on twitter that is good with this stuff maybe he will know

It's a canon pixma pro 100. Well yea I realize that getting the settings right in both LR and the printer driver are necessary that's what I'm trying to figure out. Not sure what the pixels have to do with it and I'm not sure what they are at the moment. It's fine I have a guy on twitter that is good with this stuff maybe he will know
Pixels are the "dots " of color that when viewed in total resolve into an image that you can distinguish with your eyes The typical camera sensor has a sensor with pixels that might be describes like this Canon 5D with 4,368 × 2,912 pixels which has an aspect ratio of 3:2 (or dividing the width by the height = 1.5) A 4X6 sheet of photo paper also has the same aspect ratio of 1.5. So all of the pixels on the long edge will exactly fill the long edge os the paper and the same for the short edge. However if you use photo paper that is 8.5 X11, the that paper has an aspect ration of 1.294 and the full image will either leave white space for the dimension that does not fit or some of the pixels will get cut off and your image will be arbitrarily cropped by the printer to force it to fit. This is why I asked you to supply the Printer settings, Lightroom's cropped settings in pixels and LR's Print module settings that produced the photo that you referenced
I have no doubt that supplied with the necessary information, that the "guy on twitter" or any one of us here can help you solve your problem. I do think it is unfair to both the "guy on twitter" and me to have to spend time answering your question when you are not willing to wait for an answer.

Sorry just trying to figure this out quick and using all means necessary to find out cause I have a bday party and this is one of my gifts. I shot raw with a canon t2i not sure if that's helps. Don't have the pixel info in front of me. THANKS THOUGH

Sorry just trying to figure this out quick and using all means necessary to find out cause I have a bday party and this is one of my gifts. I shot raw with a canon t2i not sure if that's helps. Don't have the pixel info in front of me. THANKS THOUGH
The Canon t2i also has a 3:2 aspect ratio (5184 x 3456 (17.9 MP, 3:2)) So, without cropping you can print on 4X6, 8X12, 16X24 paper. Any other paper will need the image to be cropped to fit the aspect ratio of the paper if you want borderless prints.

Ok. Yea I tried it both ways. Cropping and not cropping and got the same results. 2 sides perfect and the other 2 sides like the picture shows showing a white border

Cletus , Let me first start off with saying thanks for putting up with my lack of information. It looks like my problem may be a simple one. For some strange reason the 8 x 10 's I thought I ordered from red river are actually 8.5 by 11. I put a piece of canon photo paper 8 x 10 up to the image on my picture i printed and it matched. So either its a differnt style of paper RR uses but on thier box it speciffically says 8 x 10. I think I MAY have solved my easy problem

Cletus , Let me first start off with saying thanks for putting up with my lack of information. It looks like my problem may be a simple one. For some strange reason the 8 x 10 's I thought I ordered from red river are actually 8.5 by 11. I put a piece of canon photo paper 8 x 10 up to the image on my picture i printed and it matched. So either its a differnt style of paper RR uses but on thier box it speciffically says 8 x 10. I think I MAY have solved my easy problem

Nope , Still have a slight border. Im not sure what more info there is to provide. I have my print settings on 8 x 10 for everything.
An 8x10 has a different aspect ratio from a 4X6 AND from the uncropped image from your Canon t2i. I find it highly unlikely that RedRiver sent you 8.5 X11 paper in a box labeled 8X10. I have 6 boxes of Red River papers in different sizes and finishes, None of them are mislabeled. And you can't stuff 8.5 X11 paper in a box labeled 8X10. The end of each box describes the size and finish.

Im not sure what more info there is to provide. I have my print settings on 8 x 10 for everything.
Complying with my first and second request for information will help me help you more than anything.

I have the same Canon Pixma Pro-100, And I can consistently print what I expect as long as I get the print settings configured properly. You have been asked to provide the printer settings so that we can advise you, but you don't seem to want to do that. I don't want to get involved any further than this one comment. But I can tell you that if you aren't getting the results you want from that printer isn't the printer's fault. You just aren't getting it set up properly. You need to go to the page set up option and make sure everything is configured properly in the printer driver, and then set your Lightroom options properly and you should be good to go. That's all I'll say. If you need more help than that then show us your print set up so that we can make some suggestions.

Last edited:
I have the same Canon Pixma Pro-100, And I can consistently print what I expect as long as I get the print settings configured properly. ..
Jim, I have the same printer and my experiences mirror yours. Which is why this thread has been so frustrating.

Don't have the pixel info in front of me. THANKS THOUGH

For future reference Lightroom can set to display the cropped pixel size of an image. In the Library module select View > View Options (or press Ctrl+J).

Select the Loupe View tab and then click on any one of the 6 drop down menus and set it to Cropped Dimensions.

Capture2.PNG

Now click on the Grid View tab

Select Show Grid Extras and in the drop down menu select Expanded Cells and then in the section below called Expanded Cell Extras select one of the drop down menus and choose Cropped Dimensions

Capture3.PNG

Now when in Grid view the cropped dimensions will always be displayed.

When in Loupe View press i to cycle through the info display options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back