• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Book not auto-populating and using wrong collection...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwallen

Lightroom Version Number
Classic 9.0
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
I have made many books with LR and never had this be so tricky. Tricky but not this tricky.

I have a collection of photos in a collection set. I don't select any photos and hit book. I get an empty book, I check my preferences and book settings. I hit auto-fill and I get TONS of images from an older book I made, but not the collection I clicked on .I checked the film strip and see the last book and my current wanting to make a book from collection are all in the film strip. I tried highlighting there all the photos I want and hit auto layout but it puts in more than I want.

Why is this so much more difficult than it used to be? I feel like I am missing something but all the help pages and guides show once someone in a collection selects the images, hits book, it populates with those photos. Mine apparently does not. And using auto fill button grabs from images in film strip that I dont want there any more.

Please help! Need to order asap

It appears no matt what collection I pick to make a book from. It simply adds those new collection images, to the film strip behind the collection stuck in there.

The collection when I click on it, right click and say, make book, makes the book count jump from 331 to over 1k. I know I cant do 331 but the extra 700 or so are unwanted.

Try this. Go to the Book module and press 'Clear Book'. Switch back to the Library module, select your collection and go to the Book module again.

When I got to book, it does not autopopulate. When I hit auto fill, I get all the photos from my last book...not the collection I picked. video below. just uploaded so may not be ready yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmmtRo2Pmrc

If I clear book, right click on the collection and say "make book" the collection numbers change. collection jumps from 331 to 839, book shows 538
Screen Shot 2019-11-27 at 8.52.42 AM.png

Yeah Its very strange. I kept fiddling and eventually got the bulk of them in, had to do a lot manual, but appears a reboot of machine got auto populate to work when going from Library to Book, but still held on to older pics I didnt want. OH well. Thanks anyway

Try starting with a new book. Before you start that new book, put all the photos you want in that book into the Quick Collection, and arange them in the desired order.

This approach also works for Slideshows.

Phil

This is my procedure for clearing the Book and having only the images I want, when starting a 'new' book-

1. Open the Book Module from the Top Menu (I do not care what images I see!)
2. Click the [Clear Layout] button
3. Click the tab to [Create a Saved Book]
4. Press [G] to return to Grid View - that will show you all the images that were on the Filmstrip and are now in the Saved Book.
5. Select ALL [Ctrl+A]
6. Press [Delete]
*You now have a new empty "Saved Book Collection" in the Collections panel, continue-
7. From- Folders, another Collection, anywhere in your Library- 'All Photographs', select all the images you want in the Book.
8. Add them into the "Saved Book Collection" by any method you like. (Make it the 'Target Collection' )
Now the important step-
9. ALWAYS Re-open this Book by 'Opening' the "Saved Book Collection". [Double-Click] or [Click the white Arrow]. Never hit the Module Menu again unless starting another new book.
10. Start you book design. Use AutoFill if wanted.

Steps# 1 to 6 can be done in a few seconds! From Step#7 - you decide which photos you want in the Book.

I love to maintain with, organize and collect some free books which you can download from the web in a total free way. And LR should work fine with them, I think. I mean that it should be able to edit ebook's PDF format files, or even fb2. It would be great if there would be such features.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back