• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • The August 2019 Lightroom updates are now available. Lightroom Classic includes advanced GPU support, batch HDR/pano merge and more. Lightroom (cloud-based service) has deleted photos on the desktop/mobile apps, as well as video support and batch metadata editing on Android. The Missing FAQ and Edit Like a Pro eBooks are already updated for the changes.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Book module - organising 1000 images for layout

Bent

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
Lightroom Version
Classic CC 8.2
Operating System
macOS 10.14 Mojave
I want to use the Book module in LR Classic CC. The aim is to make a book with a few images in each of 30 chapters. I have organised the images in a Collection Set with 30 sub Collections with a total of 1000 images.

To start out, I highlight the Collection Set, choose Book module and click Create Saved Book. This adds all 1000 images to the strip at the bottom of the screen. Navigating through 1000 images is impossible. What I would want is to view only one Collection at a time, this does not seem to be possible. Or is it?

Any suggestions how to organise a book based on the above specifications?

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
Unfortunately one book requires all photos to be on the filmstrip.
You could-
1. Start the book (as new) with Chapter-1 photos from a Standard 'dumb' Collection. Open the Book Module, add photos to pages.
2. Create a [Saved Book] Collection
3. Back in Library View- Add the photos from Chapter-2 Collection to the [Saved Book] Collection. These appear at the 'end' of the filmstrip.
4. Add the added photos to Book pages from the 'end' of the filmstrip.
5. Repeat Steps-3 & 4 choosing each 'new' Chapter Collection until all photos are on the Book filmstrip.

I gave an answer to a similar question sometime ago that required maintaining a photo 'Sort' order in one single Standard Collection, but it still may provide an answer for you, as a workaround. From my notes:

Q. To create a book in the Book Module I have already organized my photos in multiple Custom sorted collections (as Chapters). How do I get all the Collections combined and have the photos stay in the exact order in which I have already Custom Sorted them?

A. A method to try-
1. Create a new (empty) Collection (call it "New Collection")
2. Select the "New Collection" (the screen will be blank, no photos)
3. Immediately set the New Collection Sort Order to "Custom" (even though it does not contain photos)
4. Now select one of your 'organized' collections (eg. Chapter-1), [Ctrl+A] to select all photos, and drag&drop the photos onto the "New Collection"
5. Repeat Step-4. for each or your organized collections in the order you want (Chapters-2, -3, -4, etc)

With this method ONE collection was achieved sorted as wanted.
Use this "New Collection" to go to the Book Module and photos will be sorted on the filmstrip as per the "New Collection"

***Immediately click the tab to {Create a Saved Book}- this "Book" Collection will be the collection you work with every time you want to edit the Book. (Delete the individual ‘Chapter’ Collections)

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Use stacks in collections.

First stay in Library and create a collection with the images. In grid view you can re-order them, but it's really handy to stack the photos - each stack representing a chapter or section. You can open up a stack and re-order photos in it, or you can move stacks around to re-order chapters. When you're done, then expand all the stacks and create the book.

It's what I do, not with as many photos as you but with 100-200.

Bent

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
Excellent, this works quite well, thank you very much for your assistance.