• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Book Module. Book Size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnits

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Is it possible to configure the Book Module to create PDF output sized at A4.

Here are the options available to me.

1668086944775.png

I gave up on the Book module years ago. I sense there has been some updates since. I am keen to test the waters again. Outputting to A4 or A5 size is a key requirement. I can use the print module to output A4.... but the print module does not allow me place Title, Caption, Author, Location in a professional manner.

Any work arounds appreciated if A4/A5 not possible directly.

There's now a lot more flexibility over page layout, and you still get the big advantage of doing everything in one application. However, for a new page size you'd have to create a new book template. I used to know how, but it's a while since I looked at the method and it would be a lot of effort.

One idea might be to produce the book with one of the existing page sizes, export as PDF, import the PDF pages into PS, and run a macro to resize and/or crop. But I'm sure you'll prefer to use InDesign!

Thanks for the responses.

I like the Mail Merge features of Affinity Publisher better than the legacy and difficult to use Mail Merge features in Photoshop and InDesign.

The most efficient method is to stay within Lr, but not having a4 /a5 sizes is beyond comprehension and a deal killer.

Looks like I will be sticking with Affinity Publisher for a while longer.

I am getting better with MatLab, so maybe I might try generating my ideal layout within a PDF container using MatLab. Definitely a winter project.

Such a shame that Adobe do not address this basic need, or provide options to place metadata on the page within the Print Module.

Is it possible to configure the Book Module to create PDF output sized at A4.

Here are the options available to me.

View attachment 19650
I gave up on the Book module years ago. I sense there has been some updates since. I am keen to test the waters again. Outputting to A4 or A5 size is a key requirement. I can use the print module to output A4.... but the print module does not allow me place Title, Caption, Author, Location in a professional manner.

Any work arounds appreciated if A4/A5 not possible directly.
I just looked up an Australian book printer at random. They offer A6, A5 & A4 Portrait (long edge bind) and A5 & A4 Landscape (short edge bind). Anything else is considered custom.

I just looked up an Australian book printer at random. They offer A6, A5 & A4 Portrait (long edge bind) and A5 & A4 Landscape (short edge bind). Anything else is considered custom.
Thank you for the research…. but how can I create, say, an a4 sized pdf to send to the printer. Also, I wish to be able to print my own Pdf’s so I can wire bind them and also do my own traditional bookbinding.

Thank you for the research…. but how can I create, say, an a4 sized pdf to send to the printer. Also, I wish to be able to print my own Pdf’s so I can wire bind them and also do my own traditional bookbinding.
I'm sorry, I don't have an answer. I was just supporting what I thought was your assertion that in this case, Adobe had overlooked the needs of those outside the USA. The issue doesn't arise in printing because the printer defines the format. I guess this warrants a feature request.

Thanks. I thought there might be a workaround hiding in the background somewhere.

I think I made a request on first hint of Book Module /Blurb connection.

I have the skills to work out a custom solution, but such a solution from a workflow perspective is very inefficient. I check every few years in the hope of good news. Alas, I will check again in a few years time.

I just checked the LrC feature request area. There was a request for metric book sizes there. Adobe's response was that they would look into it. That was October 2018 :rolleyes:

Such a shame that Adobe do not ...... provide options to place metadata on the page within the Print Module.
They do! But it is limited to the lower margin (Border) of a 'Print'.
It is "Photo Info", and you can create a Preset of available metadata in the Drop-down menu-
2022-11-12 10_19_42-Roberts Catalog-v12 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Print.jpg

You can set the Print module to save the Print to a defined JPEG file of Custom File Dimensions & ppi (eg. A4 11.75x8.25in. 300ppi). Then build a PDF from the saved JPGs.
2022-11-12 10_20_14-Roberts Catalog-v12 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Print.jpg

2022-11-12 10_29_24-Roberts Catalog-v12 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Print.jpg

Attachments

• 2022-11-12 10_19_50-Roberts Catalog-v12 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Print.jpg
    2022-11-12 10_19_50-Roberts Catalog-v12 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Print.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 80
I posted a rant in this request in 2012.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/ligh...n-options-in-book-module/idc-p/12261798#M4075

1. So sad that this has been completely ignored For so long.
2. On a related matter, the Data Merge feature in Photoshop is just full of bugs, does not allow import of Excel or Tabbed Delimited files and kicks out perfectly valid formatted CSV data files for no apparent reason. Using this tool is an exercise in complete frustration.

In parallel, no progress re use of metadata in the Print Module.

I have abandoned InDesign in favour of Affinity Publisher (who have a well conceived data merge feature).
My preference is to complete these tasks within the Lightroom /Photoshop ecosystem… for lots of reasons, incl basic efficiency, but Adobe seem anxious to push clients to competing products.

Rob, thanks for the feedback re use of Print module. I am aware of these features, but they are too constrained. I will post a sample layout
, that I use, shortly.

Here is a sample 'well formed' print layout with metadata.

1668257190948.png

This layout was created probably 10 years ago. I have trimmed out the top and bottom just to minimise the size of the sample layout posted.

Update.
I have used Microsoft Access to generate the following (draft) layout. This specific layout is optimised for the dimensions of my iPad Pro. I simply generate in Lr the images for a specific trip or event and use Access to generate the pdf and import it as a PDF into the iPad Book app. The result is that I have a superb, easily accessible book/slideshow, etc of my trip, with relevant meta data professionally placed relative to the left and right edges of the frame. This is still work in progress, with some tweaking required. Excuse any typos.... just using some test data.

SampleIpadLayout.jpg

I had a lot of tweaking to do to ensure I was getting the native jpgs embedded in the document, but I am very happy with the resultant output on my ipad.

Next Steps
My next step is to do a version for A5/A4 printed output. I plan to print to good quality paper and use wire binding to produce adhoc books or draft versions of books for more professional binding. I will compare the quality of prints using the generated PDF to actual colour managed prints on my printer.

And Finally.
I have also purchased the Report Generator module of the MatLab software. I have to learn how to use this... but this (hopefully) will be my final solution. My MatLab app will have a simple form where I press a button to select a folder of preprepared images in a folder from Lightroom. I will have multi choice boxes to select the format required (eg iPhone, iPad Mini, Ipad Pro, A5, A4, A3, etc. MatLab will then automatically create a page per image, generate a full PDF, with the Image and related metadata precisely placed relative to the size of the image. I can set PDF security settings to protect the integrity of the document created. Matlab will extract the metadata from the images themselves, so I do not have the hassle of any third party data merge software. MatLab Report Generator will also allow me to create Powerpoint slides, Word Documents, Html pages, etc. I can use pre-prepared Powerpoint templates, with logos, transitions, animations etc fully automated.

I am fed up waiting for Adobe to allow me place images and metadata on a page layout in a professional and efficient manner. Using MatLab gives me access to a modern platform which allows me to combine my images and metadata in a meaningful way. The MatLab platform has every possibility of outlasting my needs into the future.

Again, I would prefer to do this inside the Adobe ecosystem, but I have lost patience and can see a solution which will work for me and has legs for future refinement as my workflow or technology evolves.

Update 2. Hopefully second last post on this topic.

I have done the basic research on how to use the Matlab Report Generator. Rather than using Microsoft Access and the need to create intermediate datamerge files, I am going to jump into developing a MatLab app to create well formed pages containing colour managed images and well placed metadata related to the images. The incentive for this is the ultimate efficiency of the workflow using a fairly simple MatLab app and a folder of images.

The app will use a desktop form. Pressing a button will trigger a dialogue to select the folder of images needed. The app will validate the number of jpgs and tiffs in the folder and perhaps do a check that the images have sufficient pixels per inch for the target destination output (eg IPad screen, A5, A4,A3 Prints, etc.). Exiftool.exe will be invoked to create an internal database containing the image file path and all the required metadata fields (Title, Caption, Creator, Location, Date /Time, Camera Make and Model, Lens, Exposure Settings, etc).

MatLab will use the Report Generator toolkit to place the image and related metadata on a page sized for the selected output. The intention is that the metadata will automatically align with the bottom left and right of the image and the image will be placed optimally on the page. All composed pages will be stored in a PDF container. These can be used to create high quality output prints or use as documents inside the Apple Books App. I will check if there are any advantages to creating books compatible with Kindle, etc.

When I have the first prototype working, I will modify it so it can be used to create a well formed PowerPoint presentations.

I do not plan to post further on this topic, other than to confirm, with a short message, when I have a working app. I will summarise any issues encountered. I am not in a hurry to do this. Will use spare time at weekends, etc. I can use my Access reporting tool to generate any outputs I need in the interim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back