• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom 6 questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom 6 - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. When you upgrade to subscription, there's also a Lightroom Classic version available.

Blurry Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomp

When I go to import my previews not sharp. I am not sure why, but it sure would be nice to not import those photos that I can tell just won't work. Because my previews are blurry I have ended up importing everything which makes for a bit of extra work.
Any thoughts?

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Those are the embedded jpegs in the files themselves. Which camera do you have - perhaps the camera is embedding a jpeg that's just too small. How big are you wanting to see these previews? Are we talking about the thumbnails in the import dialog?

tzalman

Lightroom Version
I also find the thumbnails in the import page too blurry to be useful. For that reason I browse my card reader with Breeze Browser Pro, mark the ones I want to download to the HD and tell BBP to send them to LR where the are loaded to the import dialog. I don't even look at the blurry previews, just click "Check all" and set my destination folder info.

tomp

[quote author=Victoria Bampton link=topic=8976.msg6'456#msg6'456 date=1263976375]
Those are the embedded jpegs in the files themselves. Which camera do you have - perhaps the camera is embedding a jpeg that's just too small. How big are you wanting to see these previews? Are we talking about the thumbnails in the import dialog?
[/quote]

Victoria,
I am using a Canon 4''D (Rebel XTi). Yes, I am referring to the thumbnails in the import dialog. I am new to Lr and trying to get off the ground with a sound import method and trying to use keywords as my main organizational tool.

I took a look at my import preferences and here is what is checked:
Preferences (Import)
-show import dialog when memory card detected.
-ignore camera-generated folder names when naming folders.
-treat JPEG files next to raw files as separate photos.
File Extension=dng
Compatibility=camera raw 5.4 and later
JPEG Preview=full size

Embed original raw file is not checked.

I am also posting a question in the general discussion section asking for help regarding how to best import from a CF card to a folder and then importing my photos from my main folder into Lr.

I just purchased your Missing FAQ book and it looks like it will be very helpful...just need to get started. :)

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Yeah, I'd say the import dialog is probably not the best place to be evaluating which photos to import - the thumbnails are only really useful to separate up shoots. I'd import the lot and sort from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.