• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

blank thumbnail

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdgodf

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (updates current)
Exact Lightroom Version (Help menu > System Info): Lightroom Classic version: 7.0.1 [ 1142117 ]

I noticed today that there is a blank thumbnail and I cant get ride of it. Clicking on it to "show in explorer" results in an error message from lightroom - "An internal error has occurred: ?:0: attempt to index field 'rootfile' (a nil value)". If I try "go to folder in lightroom" nothing happens. I've removed all previews and it made no difference. It also appears under "all Photographs". It appears to be associated with an image I took this month but searching on my system outside lightroom didn't find anything untoward. If I try to do any operations where it's one of the selected images they fail. Any suggestions on what to do welcome! It seems as though it's a "dummy record" in the catalogue. Here's a screen capture showing it in 'all photographs':
error.jpg

Hi Mark, welcome to the forum!

Yes, I'd agree with your assessment. It could probably be removed directly in the catalog, but that's not officially recommended, so let's try the official path first - do you use Publish Services or Sync? If not, I'd just select all of the other photos and use File menu > Export as Catalog to copy all of the other photos to a new catalog and delete the catalog with the mystery photo.

Hi Mark, welcome to the forum!

Yes, I'd agree with your assessment. It could probably be removed directly in the catalog, but that's not officially recommended, so let's try the official path first - do you use Publish Services or Sync? If not, I'd just select all of the other photos and use File menu > Export as Catalog to copy all of the other photos to a new catalog and delete the catalog with the mystery photo.

Thanks for responding Victoria. I tried export as catalog but the offending thumbnail also exported and appeared in the new catalog. Also I do use the publish services (facebook, Instagram and a couple of smumug sites) so would really like to maintain those. What's the not officially recommended solution?
Mark

I tried export as catalog but the offending thumbnail also exported and appeared in the new catalog.
You must select all the images except the empty thumbnail and then export the selection.

I think what Johan is saying select every image in the current catalog except the one with the blank thumbnail then Export as Catalog. This will create a new catalog, preserving all your existing collections and metadata.

Then use the newly created catalog as your main catalog going forward.

-louie

I think what Johan is saying select every image in the current catalog except the one with the blank thumbnail then Export as Catalog. This will create a new catalog, preserving all your existing collections and metadata.

Then use the newly created catalog as your main catalog going forward.

-louie
Thanks I understood that. If you do a catalog export the publications do not go with it just collections and metadata. I want the publications preserved.

Sorry I misread your last post. Export catalog does not include any of the Publish Services. There is a plugi Lightroom Voyager that is supposed to provide this. I have looked at in the past but not really tested it. The developer is well regarded in the LR plugin developer community so I presume that it will work as advertised. There may, however, be limitations that I am not aware of that may affect the usefulness.

I noticed from the web page it is not "officially" supporting LR Classic. That may or may not be a problem.

Maybe it would be easier to send Victoria a copy of the catalog file and have on of her database guru's simply fix it.

Sorry for your pain as I know how frustrating it can be when you tools let you down even with such a minor glitch.

-louie

Sorry I misread your last post. Export catalog does not include any of the Publish Services. There is a plugi Lightroom Voyager that is supposed to provide this. I have looked at in the past but not really tested it. The developer is well regarded in the LR plugin developer community so I presume that it will work as advertised. There may, however, be limitations that I am not aware of that may affect the usefulness.

I noticed from the web page it is not "officially" supporting LR Classic. That may or may not be a problem.

Maybe it would be easier to send Victoria a copy of the catalog file and have on of her database guru's simply fix it.

Sorry for your pain as I know how frustrating it can be when you tools let you down even with such a minor glitch.

-louie
Thanks Louie, The Lightroom Voyager looks promising on a quick view of the website - I'll give it a go on a backup version of my catalog. At this point the errant thumbnail is an irritation/ minor glitch as you say. But still, I'd rather it be gone!
Edit: though the database changed with CC classic, didn't it? So maybe it won't work.

Last edited:
Yeah! Lightroom Voyager did the trick. It was a little convoluted but eventually got it all to work. Only 2 issues 1) didn't seem to want o migrate my Instagram publish service, but that's not a big deal to me as its' only a handful of photos 2) I have 2 smugmug accounts and LV wouldn't migrate both at the same time but if I ran it once for each account it worked.
No pesky thumbnail..
Thanks for everyone's help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back