• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Library module Blank Entry Can't Delete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Palmer

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 7.3.1
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
Screen Shot 2018-05-14 at 20.47.51.png

I have a picture as above left which has no metadata or a link to a file. It's just a blank within the catalogue. I have tried to delete or remove photo and it won't budge. When I try to delete or remove I get nothing, no messages. Any ideas?

I am needing some of the Queens magic. I too have at least 50 of the "ghost" photos. They do not have metadata, and am unable to delete. I have no idea what I have done to deserve this. :}
Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 8.22.59 PM.jpg
Help.

Per one of my previous posts, I requested help over at Adobe. Last I heard the (about a month ago, after chasing it up) the "Engineering team are still evaluating it".

I am needing some of the Queens magic. I too have at least 50 of the "ghost" photos. They do not have metadata, and am unable to delete. I have no idea what I have done to deserve this. :} View attachment 12709 Help.
I'm not clear where your screen shot was taken. The blank thumbnail suggest that the thumbnail is either missing or not rendered due to error. What happens when you click to open the image in full screen to develop? If it opens properly then we need to look closer at the reasons the thumbnail does not display. If it does not open properly, then what are the error messages displayed?

Clee,
This is a known problem (see the first messages in this thread), not simply a thumbnail that isn't rendered. If you look at the top of the slide mount, you'll see that the blank thumbnail also does not display a file name, or any other info that the other thumbnails do show. That indicates that this is a false database record.

Clee,
This is a known problem (see the first messages in this thread), not simply a thumbnail that isn't rendered. If you look at the top of the slide mount, you'll see that the blank thumbnail also does not display a file name, or any other info that the other thumbnails do show. That indicates that this is a false database record.
Do we have any sort of fix at this point yet? Thank you

I'm not clear where your screen shot was taken. The blank thumbnail suggest that the thumbnail is either missing or not rendered due to error. What happens when you click to open the image in full screen to develop? If it opens properly then we need to look closer at the reasons the thumbnail does not display. If it does not open properly, then what are the error messages displayed?
Nothing happens when I attempt to open the image. Its as if there is no image actually there. No metadata etc. I have now about 60 of these that are intermixed through out my catalogue ...

No fixes yet. For an odd one, I've deleted the orphaned data directly out of the database, but my database skills are too limited to be comfortable (or efficient!) at doing it for more than one or two. This one will need to wait on the engineers.

No fixes yet. For an odd one, I've deleted the orphaned data directly out of the database, but my database skills are too limited to be comfortable (or efficient!) at doing it for more than one or two. This one will need to wait on the engineers.
Thank you Victoria. Here is one more thought. I've been trying to think what I have maybe done different recently and the two things are I switched from LR 6 to the subscription service and I upgraded from Luminar 2018 to Luminar 3 which has the DAM. I wonder if there is a commonality with the others who have experienced this.

I suspect it's a bug that was introduced about a year ago but takes really specific conditions to trigger it. I've suspected a glitch importing in the cases I've seen. Are these photos you've imported since moving to subscription?

I suspect it's a bug that was introduced about a year ago but takes really specific conditions to trigger it. I've suspected a glitch importing in the cases I've seen. Are these photos you've imported since moving to subscription?
Hi Victoria, would you mind sharing your database deletion technique? I have 59 that are messed up in this way - I’m happy to backup my catalog and have a go at fixing it manually.

The last I heard regarding my own issue was on an adobe forum : “We did get the catalog. The Engineering Team is evaluating. At this time, I am waiting for work-around/correction information.”
I’ve not heard anything now for 4 months.

If you follow the instructions at the end of that bug thread, Rikk's now got a tool to be able to fix it until they get the fix in a shipping build.

If you follow the instructions at the end of that bug thread, Rikk's now got a tool to be able to fix it until they get the fix in a shipping build.
Hey Victoria - I've hit this issue also, just this week. Do you have details of the thread you refer to, or to Rikk's tool? I'd like to be able to fix my catalog. Same issue as the others.

Hi Victoria - I have this same issue and it's very annoying. Screenshot below:

1591435755735.png

Nothing happens when you right click on the 'null' files and they can't be deleted. In the menu at the top of LR you can select 'Photo' but very little does anything. One that does do something is "Show in explorer" which gives an error message:
1591435767088.png

I probably have 100-200 of them. I've tried following the link, above, but cannot see any sign of Rikk's tool. Are you aware of any developments? Is there somewhere else I can get the tool? (unless I'm missing it).

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Edit: This is with all plugins disabled (made no difference).

Last edited:
I know it's on their radar to fix evil.elmo, so hopefully sooner than later.

I know it's on their radar to fix evil.elmo, so hopefully sooner than later.

Thanks Victoria - is there anything I can or should be doing in the meantime to help it get resolved (e.g. provide my catalogue to someone)? It's a problem with pretty serious consequences, and they've known about it for a year, so I don't hold high expectations that Adobe will fix it anytime soon. :(

I'd therefore like to try Rikk's tool to try fix my catalogue myself if I can, but can't see any sign of it. Do you (or anyone else reading this) have a copy or know where it is? Thanks for your help!

Rikk would have to run the tool himself, but just hold that thought... that's as much as I'm at liberty to say. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back