Blackness or Shadows: what's the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

michael8765

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
When in the Develop Mode, what is the difference between using the Blackness slider and the Shadows slider? When would I use each to best effect?

I presume you mean the Black slider and the Fill Light slider. Black sets the black point, that point at which every tone with a lower value than the b.p. will be rendered as 0, absolute black. If Black is too high, shadow detail is lost. If Black is too low, there is no black in the image and global contrast is lost. Fill Light lightens the darkest tones, the darker they are the more they are raised. Theoretically, Fill Light does not affect the b.p., but in fact it does because tones that are very close to the b.p. are moved to the right and therefore are not rendered as 0. That is why Fill Light is above Black in the interface, adjust it first and then set Black.

Thank you for this....I probably wasn't very clear....i'm actually referring to the 'Shadow' slider in the Tone curve....what is the difference between using the Black slider and the Shadows slider in the Tone Curve?

If you mouse over the slider and watch the tone curve it will show you the areas of your images' tone map which are affected by the slider. Shadows affects the darkest portion of your image while Darks affect a broader tonal range. In my world, the Shadows slider is effective at driving detail into or out of the shadows, while the Darks is more effective at controlling overall image contrast.

To be honest, I seldom use the sliders. I find editing the curve directly much more powerful.

Michael,

As tzalman said, the Blacks slider sets the black clipping point.

The Shadows slider raises or lowers the darkest region of the tone curve (in a non-linear fashion--watch the curve as you slide it).

The best way for you to figure out what they do is to play with them on one of your images. You can always use the history panel to undo your changes.

Hal

Thank you RikkFlohr.....so, if I understand this correctly the Blackness slider is just another way of adjusting Curves; why doesn't the curve change when I use the Blackness slider?

Because Blackness (I assume Black Slider) isn't part of the curve dialog. You can adjust the black point and the tone curve independently of one another.

Thank you RikkFlohr.....so, if I understand this correctly the Blackness slider is just another way of adjusting Curves; why doesn't the curve change when I use the Blackness slider?
The curve is an adjustment tool just like the Blackness slider. What you need to look at for changes to both is the Histogram at the top of the Right panel.

Thanks clee....i will work with this more...it still seems more art than science....i'm an intuitive photographer so that's ok...however, occasionally I like to get certain points 'wrestled to the ground' and clarified.....since i couldn't explain this one to myself or anyone else it seemed important to get an unequivocal answer.

Yes, Photography is both an art and a craft. Making a basket is a craft. Making a pretty basket is an art. Photography is no dofferent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back