• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Black box attached when using lasso tool?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beckyk

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
6.x
Lightroom Version Number
Newest
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
ps just started adding a solid black box attached to the line made from the lasso tool. I was going to content aware fill.

when I minimize ps and put it back up it disappears.

I have googled, asked at Adobe Rebooted my Mac, restarted ps, reset the tool panel, updated ps, asked all my friends, just short of getting the hammer out!
does anyone know what is going on? Thank you!

Bumping :) I hope this can explain my question better. Any help?:) thanks
Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 1.55.41 PM.png

Try this: Go to Preferences - Performance and turn off the use of the Graphics Processor, or play around with tis settings.
I agree with Johan. It looks like a video driver issue. Would you consider upgrading to Catalina for the latest drivers for your GPU? Your OS is 3 years old and in the computer era that is antediluvian.

Try this: Go to Preferences - Performance and turn off the use of the Graphics Processor, or play around with tis settings.
I agree with Johan. It looks like a video driver issue. Would you consider upgrading to Catalina for the latest drivers for your GPU? Your OS is 3 years old and in the computer era that is antediluvian.

Thank you Johan & clee for the help. I tried it with the graphics processor turned off and that didnt help. My mac is a 2011 and it is at the end of the road for updates with High Sierra! I tried leaving LR off while editing in PS but that didn't help. any ideas other then buying a new Mac! LOL!

Everyone needs an excuse to get a new computer. :) When Johan was saying to turn off the GPU, it might not have been clear that this is to be done in Photoshop and not Lightroom.
What version of Photoshop? The latest is v21.2.3 20200902.r.308 2020/09/02: 4ea4dadce6 x64

Everyone needs an excuse to get a new computer. :) When Johan was saying to turn off the GPU, it might not have been clear that this is to be done in Photoshop and not Lightroom.
What version of Photoshop? The latest is v21.2.3 20200902.r.308 2020/09/02: 4ea4dadce6 x64

LOL! i wish i could get a new one but that may have to wait for a while!
Thanks, I did turn it off in PS. my version is 21.2.3 I just updated it last week when i started having this issue.
I just tried the 2019 20.0.10 and it did not do it! I updated that also last week. so let me ask, is that black box an issue, like will it cause my editing to go wrong?? Is there that much differance in the 2019 and the 2020 version of PS?

I would say the black box is a GPU driver failure. It is possible that Adobe did not test PS v21.2.3 with your OS version and Graphics card. I would report that if I were you. Adobes says the current release of PS is supported on macOS 10.13.6 and later. So if you are at macOS 10.13.6, you should be supported too.

As for differences in PS versions, I don't use PS to know when I aim getting a new feature. I've see similar GPU errors before and other than an annoyance, they only affected the display view. The saved file did not have these artifacts.

I would say the black box is a GPU driver failure. It is possible that Adobe did not test PS v21.2.3 with your OS version and Graphics card. I would report that if I were you. Adobes says the current release of PS is supported on macOS 10.13.6 and later. So if you are at macOS 10.13.6, you should be supported too.

As for differences in PS versions, I don't use PS to know when I aim getting a new feature. I've see similar GPU errors before and other than an annoyance, they only affected the display view. The saved file did not have these artifacts.

THANKS! I'm not at all a tech person so when you said GPU failure i kinda cringed! does that mean my mac is failing, as in i will need a new one? or is is just that it has something to do with PS?

no the saved file did not have the black box. as soon as i clicked on content aware-fill the box disapered.

How do i report this to adobe?

THANKS! I'm not at all a tech person so when you said GPU failure i kinda cringed! does that mean my mac is failing, as in i will need a new one? or is is just that it has something to do with PS?

no the saved file did not have the black box. as soon as i clicked on content aware-fill the box disapered.

How do i report this to adobe?
Bug Report / Feature Request is a link to report to Adobe. The Failure is not hardware but the driver for your GPU is not compatible with the PS graphics code that Adobe has tested and released. Hence the necessity for a bug report.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back