Bizarre Lightroom discussions in other forums

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
I suppose this belongs in the Lounge. I wonder if any of you dip into discussions in other forums (I actually have DPR in mind)?

There are some most extraordinary comments about Lightroom from people who just don't have a clue (e.g. I gave up Lightroom years ago - it's just a cataloguing tool). I try to restrain myself from joining in, but sometimes I just can't help it. I wonder if I am suffering from a strange affliction.

Am I alone?

Dave

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
I tend to ignore DPR. The Forum has a pretty lousy user interface, and the discussions are often indeed weird and uninformed. Dunno why, but I haven't had the urge to jump in and set folks right. Maybe I'm mellowing in my old age. :)

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
You're not alone at all David! I've found things the comments on Lightroom reviews - like computer magazine's websites or MacRumors - are excellent for laughably uninformed comments too. And I rarely set foot on DPReview's site because it's just not worth the stress.

Bryan Conner

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
I also very rarely visit DPR. I am also like Hal, I have learned to only read the posts, shake my head and move on to another post. Well...ok, I usually move on without joining in. Often when I join in on these discussions that are filled with blatant misconceptions and misinformation, I end up being frustrated because I can not get people to see the light and truth. I am realizing that I am becoming a curmudgeon...lol.

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
I am sure you are all right. I had the temerity to suggest that maybe, nowadays, titling a sub-forum "Retouching" didn't quite capture the essence of what are doing in post processing - and got some dog's abuse in a thread that ran to almost 100 posts. I know I should stay away (I only wandered in by accident when I was looking for actual kit reviews), but it's a bit like scratching an itch. I'm also tempted to lob the odd rock in the pool, just to watch the fun :D

Dave

robosolo

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
I realize that DPR can get very nasty at times but it can be very helpful if you take the time to figure out just who to listen to. You also have the option on DPR of blocking particularly obnoxious individuals.

robosolo

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
I only said tempted! You are quite right Cletus that it would not be a good thing to do. However, receiving personal abuse in response to a polite question is not good behaviour either. I have started to learn who some of the obnoxious posters are, but on balance I am going to stay away.

Dave