Big trouble for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

joev

I am in big trouble. I need someone to explain to me in "very simple step by step language" the right way to straighten out my LR3. Here's the challenge:
I have added a new external hard drive to my system and thought that I was copying all of my info from my old external drive to the new one. (did this by drag and drop from one hard drive to the another) and it took a long, long time. Now it seems that I am showing "?" on an awful lot of images in LR3. LR3 just doesn't know where I've put the files.

(You've heard people talk about someone with a little knowledge being dangerous - well I'm the one they were talking about) I keep doing things that I think will correct the situation and all I seem to be doing is making it worse.

In "VERY SIMPLE STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS" would someone please show me how to correct this problem. Video tutorials that I can play over and over might help too! THANK YOU

Thank you for letting me know that you did receive all of the folder listings. I can only imagine the challenges that are now being presented and please take all of the time that you need.

Just to add another twist and I'm not sure if this really means anything-I just received this notification on my screen: Backup Drive G: Backup failed. This is the Seagate Replica (not the "F" or "H" drive) and when I checked the last backup log for July 25,26 & 27th it shows that everything either failed or was showing error.

Joe, I've had a chance to review your folder listings. For reasons that I can't explain, none of them actually gave a complete listing. I have run this same command on my most extensive drive and it runs to completion showing over 344,000 directories and over 800,000 lines of text. Still, I think I have enough to make some recommendations based upon my observations.

Earlier you gave me a list of your recently opened catalogs:
Code:
--H:\Lightroom 2 Catalog\Lightroom 3 Catalog.lrcat-
--C:\Users\Joe\Pictures\Lightroom Lightroom 3 Catalog.lrcat

This brings up another imponderable. In one of the screen shots of missing image files LR referenced a location: "C:\Users\Owner\Pictures\08 15 08"
Id there another user on your PC named "Owner" with a separate Pictures folder and perhaps a separate copy of the LR catalog? User "Joe" will not normally have access you user "Owner's" files. Or anything else in that users 'home folders'.

From the folder listings it also appears that you probably have Catalogs in:
Code:
-- H:\Lightroom
-- H:\Lightroom 2 Catalog
and of course this repeats in
Code:
-- F:\Lightroom
-- F:\Lightroom 2 Catalog

Also on H:\ there are folders H:\PHOTOS GO HERE and H:\Pictures. Since the folder listing are incomplete, I can only guess at the contents. Quite possibly there are Catalogs and additioonal duplicate images there too.

As for regular catalog backups, it appears that you have not run the LR backup since 2010-04-19 2149 (over a year ago).

In browsing your folder tree, I cam across entries like these:

Code:
Directory of H:\06 23 08
07/21/2011  08:57 AM    <DIR>          2008 09 10
07/21/2011  08:57 AM    <DIR>          2008 09 10 - Copy
07/21/2011  08:58 AM    <DIR>          2008 09 12
07/21/2011  08:58 AM    <DIR>          2008 09 12 - Copy

Code:
Directory of F:\06 23 08
09/25/2010  04:14 PM    <DIR>          2008 09 10
06/07/2011  03:02 PM    <DIR>          2008 09 10 - Copy
07/03/2010  08:39 AM    <DIR>          2008 09 12
07/01/2010  08:18 PM    <DIR>          2008 09 12 - Copy

From this I can only surmise that you not only have partially duplicated F:\ to H:\ but also at some time in the past, you managed to duplicate folder contents too. .

Before you can go too much further, you will need to rectify this multitude of duplicate image files scattered over three HDs. Now the question becomes, "What to do your your LR catalog(s)?" With 0ver 9000 missing files, it might be difficult to make sense of the catalog. If you start over, you will lose all your edits, keywords, collections, etc. If you do start over you can import into one of the default date named folder schemes and LR will not import duplicates if you have that checkbox checked and use copy to create a new folder structure so the the path/filename is always going to be unique.
If you want to recover your best catalog, then the only way I can think to do this would be for you to manually reconstruct and populate the folder structure that LR expects to use to find these master image files. It will not be a trivial task. With a copy of your catalog file "Lightroom 3 Catalog.lrcat" I can provide a listing of the the folders that LR want to have and it will be up to you to find those folders and place them in the proper position (using Windows Explorer) to reconstruct the proper folder tree. Even having done this, there will probably still be missing image files some may not be resolvable.

In Summary, you need to do the following:
  • Perhaps clear up the User Mystery : Lightroom wants paths for user "Joe\Pictures" (i presume) and "Owner\Pictures"
  • Choose which method you want to use to create a workable catalog for Lightroom
  • Undergo a massive effort to declutter your image files, identify duplicates, isolate them and eventually delete them.
Let me know how you want to proceed.

On your last note, I don't know what is happening with your Drive G:\ Seagate Replica.. Some suggestions though. I don;t know how Seagate replica manages back ups or what you are attempting to back up. The Target Drive (G:\) might be full, Because of moves etc, Source folders might be exooected that are no longer there.

Cletus,
I thought that all of my troubles were connected to my trying to add the new "H" drive and therefore I didn't talk about anything that happened prior to my trying to add the drive but, based on your comments, it may be neccessary for me to explain some things that happened before I added the drive. Maybe that will clear up some of the mystery.

I have had occasion to contact Adobe (in a land other than the US) for a few issues in the past and it seems that among other things all these "technicians" wanted to do was create new users on my system for some reason that I have yet to discover. If you've ever had to deal with them than I'm sure you know what I mean. Because of that there are actually 3 users on my computer and they are: Administrator1; Owner; and Joe so that may be the cause of some of these problems. The user that comes up when I sign on now is JOE.

I have a few horror stories that kept me in contact with over 19 different "techs" over a period of 3 and a half weeks and up to and including a full system recovery (twice)

Do we need to do the folder listings for each user? Would that help? If there are things happening that you cannot explain you can imagine how confused I am. If you need me to try to recall all of the things that happened with the "techs" let me know and I'll try to do so.

It doesn't look like there will be any simple solutions and I am not sure how I want to proceed to correct the situation. I guess that I'm looking to your direction for me.

Do we need to clear up the "users" situation before we attempt anythng else?

Last edited:
Let's just address one issue. Do you want to start over with a clean fresh catalog and lose all prior edits, keywords and collections or do you want to try reconstructing the folder structure that LR needs to find most of the files? The answer to that will dictate how we approach the multiple windows users and LR.

Let's just address one issue. Do you want to start over with a clean fresh catalog and lose all prior edits, keywords and collections or do you want to try reconstructing the folder structure that LR needs to find most of the files? The answer to that will dictate how we approach the multiple windows users and LR.

I believe that I would rather try to reconstruct the folder structure.

I believe that I would rather try to reconstruct the folder structure.

• I'll need a copy of your catalog. It will be a few hundred megabytes. So tell me its size and we can determine the most feasible way toget it to me. From it I can construct a listing of all the folders that LR knows about.
  • When I provide you with the listing, I can describe in more details what issues I think you might encounter.
  • You will need to recreate those folders manually. I think this will all happen in "C:\Users\Joe\Pictures\" but the Catalog contents will tell us for sure. It will also tell us how serious the C:\Users\Owner\Pictures\ problem might be.
  • Once created, you will need to repopulate them with image files in the folders with the same name located in H:\ (or F:\ if H:\ does not produce what you need.)
  • When you complete this portion of the recovery, you will need to run the "Find Missing Photos" routine described in Reply #15.
  • After reporting the second "Find Missing Photos" results, I can suggest things you can try to determine if these images are available anywhere on your system.
Good Luck.

(1)Lightroom 3 Catalog.lrcat-C:\Users\Joe\Pictures\Lightroom
TYPE: LRCAT file
SIZE: 69.2 MB

(2) Lightroom 3 Catalog.lrcat-H:\Lightoom 2 Catalog
TYPE: LRCAT file
SIZE: 784 KB

Which one do you want and how do I copy it so that you can see the contents?

I've sent you a PM containing this message and additional info on your other PM question.

I've uploaded a text file listing all the folders that LR need to see. As I suspected, almost all the folders are in "C:\Users\Joe\Pictures\" Exceptions to that are:
C:/Users/Owner/AppData/Local/VirtualStore/Program Files/Portrait Professional 8/​
C:/Users/Owner/SHUTTERBUG FILES/​
C:/Users/Public/Pictures/​
C:/Users/Public/Pictures/SAMPLE~1/​
K:/​
And there are a series of sub-folders in K:\ (about 110). These show up at the bottom of the list. All together there are about 350 unique folders. About 250 of these are in your "C:\Users\Joe\Pictures\" and it looks like they all probably exist somewhere on H:\

You can retrieve the Folder Listing file from
http://www.filedropper.com/lrfolderscommandline

Each Line is a quoted String ready with the Make Directory command (MD) The full commandline string would be (to use the first line as an example )
MD "C:\Users\Joe\Desktop\New Folder\PHOTOS\PHOTOS\Pictures\"
This will create a folder "C:\Users\Joe\Desktop\New Folder\PHOTOS\PHOTOS\Pictures\"
You can paste each one into the Run Command one at a time. With a little (well a lot really) effort, I could probably turn this list into an executable.

I've sent you a PM containing this message and additional info on your other PM question.

Thought I'd send these SNIPS just to show you the "RUN" I was using Capture 11.JPG

Attachments

• Capture 10.JPG
    Capture 10.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 225
  • Capture 12.JPG
    Capture 12.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:
In stead of using the "Run Command from the windows Start button, I'm going to have you open a command window (that little black box) so that ir will stay open. If you ever used DOS, this is where e are going now.

To open the commandline, Click on the {Start} button, then {All Programs} In the next screen find the folder {Accessories}. Click to open it and Roght Click on {Command Prompt} to choose {Run as Administrator}.

Your Screen should look like this:
Capture.JPG
  • From the text file that I sent you, copy one line.
  • On the left top of the command prompt window is a small icon that shows the "C:\prompt" Capture2.JPG
  • Click in it, then in the menu that opens, {Edit}
  • then {Paste}
Your command prompt window then should resemble the one in the first image above.
Click enter to run the MD command to make the Directory (folder).
The Command prompt window will return to the command prompt ready for you to paste the next command
Capture3.JPG

Seems to be working. Here's a SNIPCapture #15.JPG

I believe that I should continue this procedure until all 350 are entered. Is this correct?

If this is correct, then do I have to continue until all 350 are entered without shuting down the computer or can I shut down the computer (let's say after entering 100) and the reopen and continue where I left off? And then what do I do after I have entered the 350th?

Last edited:
Seems to be working. Here's a SNIPView attachment 860

I believe that I should continue this procedure until all 350 are entered. Is this correct?

If this is correct then what do I do after I have entered the 350th?
Continue until each Directory has been entered at the command prompt. then:

• Once created, you will need to repopulate them with image files in the folders with the same name located in H:\ (or F:\ if H:\ does not produce what you need.)
  • When you complete this portion of the recovery, you will need to run the "Find Missing Photos" routine described in Reply #15.
  • After reporting the second "Find Missing Photos" results, I can suggest things you can try to determine if these images are available anywhere on your system.

What do you mean by "repopulate them with image files with image files in the folders with the same name located in H:\ (orF;\ if H:\ does not produce what is needed?

I know I'll be busy for awhile before I get all 350 entered but I certainly don't want to do anything wrong now.

What do you mean by "repopulate them with image files with image files in the folders with the same name located in H:\ (orF;\ if H:\ does not produce what is needed?

I know I'll be busy for awhile before I get all 350 entered but I certainly don't want to do anything wrong now.
As an example
One of the folders that you are recreating for LR is "C:\Users\Joe\Desktop\pictures\06 13 08\" If you look in H:\ , you will find a folder "H:\06 13 08\" copy all the files from that folder into "C:\Users\Joe\Desktop\pictures\06 13 08\" There also might be the same images in the folder "H:\pictures\06 13 08\" and again in"H:\PHOTOS GO HERE\06 13 08\" It is possible the some of these folders don't have all the files but if you were thorough with the initial copy, then all of them will have the same contents. What you are doing is rebuilding your file/folder structure to match what LR had at one time. When that is done, then LR will be intact again and you can proceed to do what you initially set out to do before you made your first post.

Looks like I've still got a lot of work ahead of me. Thank you for sticking with me.

Here's another SNIPCapture #16.JPG. As you can see I just started to paste the MD "K":\" and it shows that the device is not ready. In checking computer "K" is a removeable drive and I'm not sure what we are looking for. I think it might be the portable drive that I use when I shoot tethered. Do I need to hook it up and copy the Strings to it?

ALSO- 75 of the "C";\ files showed that they already existed.

Last edited:
Looks like I've still got a lot of work ahead of me. Thank you for sticking with me.

Here's another SNIPView attachment 861. As you can see I just started to paste the MD "K":\" and it shows that the device is not ready. In checking computer "K" is a removeable drive and I'm not sure what we are looking for. I think it might be the portable drive that I use when I shoot tethered. Do I need to hook it up and copy the Strings to it?

ALSO- 75 of the "C";\ files showed that they already existed.
Drives that might be given the letter K:\ are probably removable drives like "the portable drive that I use when I shoot tethered". it might mean that Drive K:\ folders are only available to LR when the drive is attached. The rest of the time they come up missing. While this is not a bad thing, it is probably considered a bad workflow practice. If you plug in the drive, does it get registered as K:\ and is LR able to show it in the folder panel without (?)s by each folder? If that is true, then this represents about 7250 of your ~9600 missing images. If you have recovered ~7250 missing images by just plugging in Drive K:\ then you are probably done recreating folders for LR and just need to populate them from H:\ or wherever you need to go to find them.

It does not surprise me that some of the folders you tried to recreate were already in existance. At this point I would not worry about them.

Plug in your portable drive and re-run the {Library}{Find Missing Photos} and see what the missing file count turns out to be. Then set about repopulating the folders that you just created.

In order for me to plug in the portable drive (K) I think, I will have to unplug both the "F" and "H" drive. I only have 6 USB connections and they are all full. (Plus some as I am using a multiple USB outlet adapter). In addition to the Seagate Replica and the "F" and "H" hard drives I also have three different printers a scanner and a digital turntable connected. I'm pretty sure that the last time I plug in the Portable I imported photos throught LR and had their destination as "H"PHOTOS GO HERE.

I need two USB outlets for the portable so if I unplug both the "F" and "H" drives and then plug in the "K" portable will I still proceed as requested above and will that really answer the (?) question?

I will not proceed until I hear from you.

None of the paths currently in your LR catalog refer to drives F:\ or H:\ So, you can unplug those to see if Plugging in K:\ will find ~7250 missing files. I think that is the answer we need next before we go further.

I unplugged F:\ and H:\ and then plugged in "K". I then {Library}{Find Missing files} and this is what I got:Capture 18.JPG. It appears that I have more missing files now.

Now what is the next step?

In windows when you click on 'My Computer", does the drive that you just attached show up as Drive K:\ or some other letter? If it is some other letter, then we will need to tell windows to assign K:\ to that drive. In your reply, can you include a screen shot of the Explorer window showing all the drives letters?

Portable Hard drive See SNIP Capture 19.JPG As you can see it shows up as "F" . The "K" drive show up as an SD card. See SNIP Capture 21.JPG . Compact flash shows up as "I" See SNIP Capture 20.JPG Both (all) of which have been reformatted in camera.

OK you will need to change the drive letter on the Free Agent Drive. Follow along with the bouncing ball...
  • If there are cards in the SD and CF card slots, remove them.
  • Exit Lightroom (if it is running)
  • Click on the Start button in Windows 7
  • Type the following command in the text box and then hit the Enter key: diskmgmt.msc
  • You should see a window like this
  • diskmgmt.dsc.JPG
  • On the right-hand side of the screen, locate and right-click on the drive that you wish to change the drive letter of and choose Change Drive Letter and Paths...
  • In the Change Drive Letter and Paths window, click on the Change... button.
  • The Change Drive Letter or Path dialog box will appear.
  • Choose the drive letter you wish to assign (K:\) to this drive by clicking the letter from the drop-down box on the right.
  • Click {OK}.
  • The Disk Management window that appears advises you that "Some programs that rely on drive letters might not run correctly. Do you want to continue?".
  • Click {Yes}
Unless there is something already claiming Drive K:\ (Like an SD or CF card) your Free Agent will always reconnect as K:\

Restart Lightroom and re-run {Find Missing Photos...}
Report the results of the {Find Missing Photos...}

If you look at my previous post - check out the SNIP. The "K" drive shows that it is assigned to my SD card reader drive. The drive number we are trying to change is for the portable which shows as the "F" drive after I removed the EHD "F" and "H" to make room to plug in the portable HD.

So here's the disk management SNIPCapture 23.JPG. When I clicked on Change Drive Letter and Paths this came up Capture 22.JPG. When I click on the tab showing F it opened up to show all letters of the alphabet EXCEPT the ones that were already being used (i.e. "F" "H" and "K"). So if I understand your last instructions correctly I was supposed to click on the "K" but it wasn't there and besides if it was there wouldn't that do something to the drive for the SD card reader.

By the way, how do you make your SNIPs so clean?

If you look at my previous post - check out the SNIP. The "K" drive shows that it is assigned to my SD card reader drive...

By the way, how do you make your SNIPs so clean?
If K\is assigned to a Card Reader that is detachable, unplug it and see if that frees up K:\ If it is not detachable (i.e. you have an HP Desktop with a built in Card Reader), then you need to re-assign the drive at K: to some other letter before you can re-assign the Free Agent Drive to K:\.

In the Snipping tool, the {New} button has a dropdownlistbox to select type The choices are:
  1. Freeform Snip (which you are using)
  2. Rectangular (hich I use most of the time)
  3. Window (used to produce the Disk Manager window)
  4. Full-Screen
The snip it tools remembers your last choice.

I have an HP desktop and when I pulled up the diskmgmt.msc and if no SD card is in the slot then "K" does not appear. So it seems that in order for me to try to assign another letter I have to have a SD card in the slot. So here's my question: Is there any danger of damaging the SD card if I leave it in the slot when trying to change the letter? So I get the cheapest SD card possible to leave in the slot just in case is does do some damage to the SD card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back