• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Big Sur photo apps impact

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcasan

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
MacOS 11 Big Sur finally rolled out today. Once downloaded (around 15 minutes) it took around 30 minutes to install, doing several restarts along the way. No noticeable impacts on LrC, Ps, Photo Raw or other photo apps. Machine in question is a 2017 iMac with quad 4.2 CPU and 580 GPU. Am planning to replace it with a new Mac Mini with 16GB or memory and 1TB internal drive. External storage (RAID 0 of SSDs) will be moved over from iMac to Mini.

Thanks for the input. I always wonder if these upgrades are beneficial to the point of warranting immediate action, though not upgrading is avoiding the inevitable. Perhaps I'm a selfish human, but I'd prefer not be a 'bug tracker and exterminator' if I don't have to be...

Some folks like the bleeding edge, some like the trailing edge (and feathered), and likely most folks are somewhere in between. :laugh:

MacOS 11 Big Sur finally rolled out today. Once downloaded (around 15 minutes) it took around 30 minutes to install, doing several restarts along the way. No noticeable impacts on LrC, Ps, Photo Raw or other photo apps. Machine in question is a 2017 iMac with quad 4.2 CPU and 580 GPU. Am planning to replace it with a new Mac Mini with 16GB or memory and 1TB internal drive. External storage (RAID 0 of SSDs) will be moved over from iMac to Mini.

Thanks. If I had not read this post I might have waited. I like it so far. Getting reports on other sites that thing are running OK. I like the bleeding edge even if I bleed sometimes. Did my 2019 iMac. I'm just about done installing on my 2015 MacBook Air. Next time I replace that Air I'm not going to get the cheapest one money can buy. 4GB and low def screen. Travel got tougher after using a 5K screen. LR and PS run OK.

So far, so good for me, though my first Time Machine Back-Up took quite a while. Hopefully, the next one will go faster.

Actually I did notice something. I got about 5 messages that the Time Machine drive did not eject properly after the first night. I didn’t try to eject it. Hasn’t happened since. Everything seems to be OK.

Ok, based upon the consensus here and elsewhere, Im going ahead and upgrade to MacOS 11.0

So far, so good for me, though my first Time Machine Back-Up took quite a while. Hopefully, the next one will go faster.
While that’s normal since any major system upgrade will replace many GB of files, Big Sur is much larger than most past macOS upgrades, because it has code for both Intel and Apple Silicon. On my Mac it says it’s going to be 12.18GB. That could make the first backup after the upgrade take longer than usual.

Also note that for the first time, in macOS 10.11 Big Sur it is finally possible for Time Machine to create a backup on a volume formatted as APFS. In theory this should allow faster and more reliable backups, but because APFS support is new, there could be bugs.

Ok, based upon the consensus here and elsewhere, Im going ahead and upgrade to MacOS 11.0
Some more good reading is:
Big Sur: Read this before upgrading by Howard Oakley

I’m going to do my usual thing and wait several point releases before upgrading, to give everyone from application developers to the companies who write all the drivers for my peripherals to get caught up. I didn’t upgrade to Catalina until July…

I didn’t know the back up is now APFS. I”ll have to back up my MacBook Air. I use a portable EHD and it always ejects the disk over night and I don’t know why. Been happening for a few years and I couldn’t figure it out. It’s just travel laptop and not much there. I plug the EHD in once a month.

The iMac ejecting was a one time thing. Just thought something. Maybe because the drive I use with the laptop is portable?

M

So far the only hiccup has been the AirSketch app that run resident and Something that I use for copying screen shots. It crashed on open and since it has not been updated since Jan.2019, I not so surprised.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I didn’t know the back up is now APFS. I”ll have to back up my MacBook Air. I use a portable EHD and it always ejects the disk over night and I don’t know why. Been happening for a few years and I couldn’t figure it out. It’s just travel laptop and not much there. I plug the EHD in once a month.
If I understand it properly, if you already have a Time Machine backup on an HFS+ volume I don’t think it auto-converts that, but we now have the option of making new Time Machine backups on an APFS volume.

I don’t know what’s going on with the portable drive ejecting itself, unless it’s one of those cases I’ve heard about where a USB drive doesn’t stay mounted during sleep.

If I understand it properly, if you already have a Time Machine backup on an HFS+ volume I don’t think it auto-converts that, but we now have the option of making new Time Machine backups on an APFS volume.

I don’t know what’s going on with the portable drive ejecting itself, unless it’s one of those cases I’ve heard about where a USB drive doesn’t stay mounted during sleep.

I'll have to explore that. Thanks.

Good reminder. I just reformatted my TM drive to APFS and had Time Machine start a new series of backups. Of course the first backup takes a while because I have it backing up the entire file system (both Machintosh HD and my RAID set). Later backups will be quicker as they are incremental backups.

Good reminder. I just reformatted my TM drive to APFS and had Time Machine start a new series of backups. Of course the first backup takes a while because I have it backing up the entire file system (both Machintosh HD and my RAID set). Later backups will be quicker as they are incremental backups.

My Time Machine drive is spinny disk formatted to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Do I just reformat to AFPS or is that only available for SSD?

My Time Machine drive is spinny disk formatted to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Do I just reformat to AFPS or is that only available for SSD?

APFS is available on any drive SSD or HDD. The biggest problem is figuring out where to put the contents if you manually make the covnversion.

APFS is available on any drive SSD or HDD. The biggest problem is figuring out where to put the contents if you manually make the covnversion.

Thanks. I'll do a few searches.

None of my Topaz plugins run and if you do upgrade do not uninstall DxO Nik for any reason as you won't be able to reinstall - the Nik installer is not compatible with Big Sur.

I just read this afternoon about APFS formatting. My initial back-up with Big Sur did fine, it was just very slow. However, I did have the same disk ejecting issues mentioned above, but the disk now boots and ejects normally. I think I might pick up a new HD for Time Machine, set it for APFS formatting, and go from there.

None of my Topaz plugins run and if you do upgrade do not uninstall DxO Nik for any reason as you won't be able to reinstall - the Nik installer is not compatible with Big Sur.

I use DxO Nik and haven't had any issue with it since the upgrade, or at least no issues with Silver Efx Pro, which makes up 99% of what I use from Nik. The only Nik associated bug I've encountered is the Nik Selective Tool doesn't open, which for me, isn't a biggie.

I reformatted the ED for my iMac and it did the new complete backup in less than an hr. I’ve never seen it that fast. Thanks for the info everyone.

[QUOTE="Bill Ballard, post: 1275545, member: 42461"
I use DxO Nik and haven't had any issue with it since the upgrade, or at least no issues with Silver Efx Pro, which makes up 99% of what I use from Nik. The only Nik associated bug I've encountered is the Nik Selective Tool doesn't open, which for me, isn't a biggie.
[/QUOTE]
What I said was that the Nik apps will run but do not for whatever reason uninstall them as you will not be able to reinstall - the Nik installer is not Big Sur compatible as yet.

[QUOTE="Bill Ballard, post: 1275545, member: 42461"
What I said was that the Nik apps will run but do not for whatever reason uninstall them as you will not be able to reinstall - the Nik installer is not Big Sur compatible as yet.
[/QUOTE]
Oh yes, understood. :thumbsup: I mentioned the bug with the Nik Selective Tool in the event other Nik users might have stumbled across something else. No plans to uninstall anything...

[/QUOTE]
Oh yes, understood. :thumbsup: I mentioned the bug with the Nik Selective Tool in the event other Nik users might have stumbled across something else. No plans to uninstall anything...
[/QUOTE]
Unfortunately I did uninstall. Was following some instructions to get the plugins working with Affinity Photo. It was only an academic exercise too :(

[/QUOTE]
Unfortunately I did uninstall. Was following some instructions to get the plugins working with Affinity Photo. It was only an academic exercise too :(
[/QUOTE]
Oh dear...has DxO/Nik offered any solutions? Aside from the promise, "we're working on it,"?

Nope - they're working on it. I have already ditched PhotoLab as it does not support Fuji X - the company does not always make one feel comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back