• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Big Sur, latest LR, and Stability

Status
Not open for further replies.

L Robbin

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
5.x
Lightroom Version Number
LR 10.0
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
Earlier this year, I updated to Big Sur and the latest version of LR on my 2015 iMac. I had big problems with LR. Mostly, being stuck with the spinning beach ball of death. I could not get any work done. So I went back to Catalina and my earlier version of LR. Somehow, after I went back to original configuration of LR and the OS, my catalog was messed up. I spent days reconstructing it.
Now I would like to use the latest updates on everything, but it's concerning.
Did anyone else have issues with stability and the spinning beach ball? If so, did you work around it somehow? And if so, how?

Hi

Which version of Lr caused this? There were a number with issues with 10.1, 10.2 seems to have solved most of them.

I recently updated from Catalina to Big Sur (running 10.2), no issues at all.

Big Sur is now at MacOS 11.3.1, It too has stabilized. LrC should have never have created problems with your catalog and neither should have MacOS. I’ve updated both as each release has been issued and I never experienced issues with my Lightroom or MacOS. I know this is no comfort if you had problems, but you should know that it can be problem free.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi

Which version of Lr caused this? There were a number with issues with 10.1, 10.2 seems to have solved most of them.

I recently updated from Catalina to Big Sur (running 10.2), no issues at all.
Vers. 10.0

I too had performance issues with 10.0, but 10.2 has brought performance back to pre-10.0 level. My specific problem was the custom profile and Library scrolling. All is rock solid with 10.2 on latest Big Sur release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When upgrading LR to the latest release and doing the same with Big Sur, is there a proper order to upgrading? OS first, the LR? Or does it not matter?

When upgrading LR to the latest release and doing the same with Big Sur, is there a proper order to upgrading? OS first, the LR? Or does it not matter?

It does not matter unless you have a very old version of MacOS

Catalina is the worst Apple OS, it was followed very quickly with Big Sur. Earlier than Catalina are also good.

Catalina is the worst Apple OS, it was followed very quickly with Big Sur. Earlier than Catalina are also good.
Don’t you love these well argumented statements?

I had no idea about Catlina.

It is an opinion not based on facts. I have had Catalina installed since it was first released and the BigSur was installed when it first came out. While some did experience some issues, I have never found a show stopping issue in any release of MacOS.

I am from the apple world.
Do you really have to make these useless statements? If you have arguments why you think Catalina is a poor version of MacOS, then give us these arguments. Otherwise please stop this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back