• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Beware: Lightroom Classic installer deletes Lightroom 6 / CC2015!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johan Elzenga

Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Guru
Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Power User
It seems there is a nasty bug (or feature) in the Lightroom Classic CC installer. If you install the upgrade, you would expect that the previous version (Lightroom CC2015) is kept, so you can perhaps first play around with a newly created catalog, or go back to Lr CC2015 and your old catalog copy in case of problems. The installer removes Lightroom CC2015 however and it also disappears from the list in your CC app, so I wouldn't know how to reinstall it (except from a local backup...).

There are also reports from Lightroom 6 (perpetual license) users, who mistakenly thought that this was an update for their version already, who lost their Lightroom 6 application and got a trial Lightroom Classic CC version instead...

During the update, there's advanced options in the Cloud app. One of those options, checked by default, is to uninstall previous versions.
To get CC2015 back, there's a dropdown next to Open for CC Classic. One of the choices is Previous Versions.

During the update, there's advanced options in the Cloud app. One of those options, checked by default, is to uninstall previous versions.
To get CC2015 back, there's a dropdown next to Open for CC Classic. One of the choices is Previous Versions.

That is simply ridiculous. What game are they playing?

OK, so you can get it back (at least CC2015 user can, not sure about Lr6 users). That's something, but it is still ridiculous that the default is to uninstall. Upgrading Lightroom is not the same as upgrading Photoshop, because you have to upgrade your catalog too.

OK, so you can get it back (at least CC2015 user can, not sure about Lr6 users). That's something, but it is still ridiculous that the default is to uninstall. Upgrading Lightroom is not the same as upgrading Photoshop, because you have to upgrade your catalog too.
This is an issue that should have been surfaced during the beta test. Of course, Adobe did beta test with LR 6 perpetual users. Or did they?

Phil Burton

When I did the install, I checked the box (advanced options) to keep the older version of LR and not delete anything. That is the way it actually installed. I still can open the old LR 2015 CC .
Then when I opened the new LR Classic I had it update the main catalog (I still have the old one backed up on a external HD). It actually gave it a new name (which I have since changed.)

So far, all is quite good.

When I did the install, I checked the box (advanced options) to keep the older version of LR and not delete anything. That is the way it actually installed. I still can open the old LR 2015 CC .
I did this too. It seem fairly obvious and straight forward Clearly marked "Check the box if you want to keep the old version"
The only people that might need this warning are those that might be sleepwalking through the install.

I did this too. It seem fairly obvious and straight forward Clearly marked "Check the box if you want to keep the old version"
The only people that might need this warning are those that might be sleepwalking through the install.
maybe not everyone is confident enough to start clicking this in that out buttons Cletus --- I'm getting smart enough to a look however atm so I have no intentions, or needs [or trust] to go any further than what I have from Adobe now. As per my thread; my only concern is being able to access Lr5 in the future if I have a computer crash or need a new computer

The people who thought that this was the 6.13 update didn't click that option, even if they saw it. Why would they want to keep 6.12 next to 6.13? And casual users don't usually click an 'Avanced' button either. They expect the installer to behave properly by default, and 'Avanced' to be a special type of installation for experienced users. Often an 'Avanced' installation does not install everything. In the past, Photoshop CC2017 was installed next to Photoshop CC2015 by default, so I was also surprised when my wife told me her CC2015 version was removed. On my own system I have a different type of installation, so I never saw this installer in action.

I just read this official answer on the feedback forum:

“7.0 should not be available as upgrade if you check for updates through Help> updates. But if you upgrade through Thor, it has never differentiated between a perpetual vs subscription and it is not possible to change now.”

[QUOTE="clee01l,

The only people that might need this warning are those that might be sleepwalking through the install.[/QUOTE]

You must be referring to me then. I now seem to be an unwilling member of the Classic CC brigade and cannot find a way back.

NeilM beat me to it. I was about to say "That would be me." :)

One more annoying thing with the update- when I installed it, on clicking the icon a warning box from Windows popped up saying that either the version is not for Windows, or one of the files in the installation is corrupt. I uninstalled it and started again, same thing. Thus I went to the CC control panel and chose the installation of CC2015. At least all my stuff is there.
BobD

I read everything that Victoria wrote before I upgraded. After that my decisions were straightforward.

I was busy re-installing software on my Surface Pro yesterday (Outlook and iCloud integration suddenly disappeared, and I started losing work when working on files synced with OneDrive - overall system stability was declining - and all the Windows troubleshooter could recommend was "it may be good time to try a Fresh Start"...) Since all my data files have been backed up, I decided this may be the best option...

Since my "Fresh Start" coincided with the release of the new Lightroom, I almost installed the new cloud version by mistake, because I did not know the version I want is now called "Lightroom Classic" and the cloud version is the one featured on Adobe's main page... Fortunately I decided to browse through Victoria's blog while waiting for some other software to finish installing!

I am a Adobe Creative Cloud subscriber (I need Acrobat and decided to give Premier Pro a go for the video editing)... My Lightroom Classic installed as a 7-day trial so I guess I'll see what happens next week...

Last edited:
I am a full Adobe Cloud subscriber (I need Acrobat and decided to give Premier Pro a go for the video editing)... My Lightroom Classic installed as a 7-day trial so I guess I'll see what happens next week...

That's strange. If you are a full Adobe CC subscriber then Lightroom Classic shouldn't first install as trial.

That's what I also thought... Hopefully it's just a bug in the messages that will sort itself out before the end of the week...
If you let Adobe CC App manager install the new apps for you, you should not get a trial install.

DGStinner, could you please elaborate on this ? In the CC Desktop app I don't see any such option.

Screenshot+-+4_12_2017+,+9_07_44+AM.png
DGStinner, could you please elaborate on this ? In the CC Desktop app I don't see any such option.
Since I've already upgraded all of my computers, I'm going from memory. When you click to upgrade to Lightroom Classic within the Cloud app, a window pops up. At the bottom is "Advanced Options". When you click on it, one of the options is to uninstall previous versions. If you uncheck this box, it'll keep CC 2015.

When you click to upgrade to Lightroom Classic within the Cloud app, a window pops up.

Thanks. I just clicked on Install in the CC Desktop app and the download started immediately. No popup window. Does this happen after the download completed and before the installation starts ?

Ah, OK, this popup window only appears when clicking on Update All. Not when updating a single app.

Ah, OK, this popup window only appears when clicking on Update All. Not when updating a single app.

No. I updated PS first. Then I went back and updated LR. I had the option at that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back