• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • The May 2019 Lightroom updates are now available. There's a brand new slider called Texture, available across the whole family of apps. Lightroom Classic includes a new tool called Flat Field Correction. Lightroom (cloud-based service) has lots of big improvements including cloud trash, invitation-only web galleries, improved chromatic aberration removal and more. The Missing FAQ and Edit Like a Pro eBooks are already updated for the changes. You'll also notice the CC's have disappeared off the end of the names, so we've updated the forum names to match.

Best workflow for editing existing photos with Lightroom Classic CC in a second location?

Toolio

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version
Latest 2019 versions of LR CC and Classic Cc
Operating System
Windows 10
Hi all.
It's time for me to make my annual migration to Canada from Brasil. I do this every year for a few months, and when I do Lightroom confuses the hell out of me. So I thought I'd ask the experts.
I'm going to want to edit some photos that are already in my Adobe Cloud, uploaded there through LR CC in Brasil, while in Canada. I want to edit in Canada with LR Classic CC, not LR CC, because that's the app I prefer for editing and the one I mainly use in Brasil. I then want to be able to reinsert the edited photos back into my LR ecosystem so I can access the edits in LR Classic CC when I return to Brasil. (I use xmp sidecar files to store editing metadata.)
I have both LR Classic CC and LR CC on Windows 10 computers in both countries, as part of my Adobe subscription. Consequently it is easy to access my 20,000 or so photos through LR CC desktop or mobile anywhere. But as I said, I dont want to edit in LR CC. I want to edit in LR Classic CC in both Brasil and Canada.
Past attempts at trying to synchronize LR Classic CC catalogs in two locations have been disasters, and I gather it's not a good idea to try this. Of course, LR CC is a different, happier story when it comes to synchronization.
So, to simplify, let's say that I want to pull down 100 photos that are already in my LR cloud and work on them in Classic CC while in. Canada. I'm going to print and frame them for display in my house there.
Then I want to be able to access those same edited files in LR Classic CC on my Brasil PC upon my return to Brasil, perhaps do a few more edits, and then print some in Brasil. I'm not travelling with a laptop, so I'd like to do whatever it takes in Canada to magically make those edits accessible in Brasil.
Sorry if this is long and rambling. But I would realky like to know what others recommend in this situation.
Thanks in advance,
David

Umberto Cocca

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
If all the files you need are on the cloud, you only have to copy the catalog from Brazil to Canada, work in Canada and copy back again the catalog to Brazil when you are done. If you want to print, I strongly recommend that you bring along with you also the raw files, since LRCC pulls only smart previews from the cloud, which are OK for editing on a screen but not the full resolution you would want for printing.

Sent using Tapatalk

Toolio

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
If all the files you need are on the cloud, you only have to copy the catalog from Brazil to Canada, work in Canada and copy back again the catalog to Brazil when you are done. If you want to print, I strongly recommend that you bring along with you also the raw files, since LRCC pulls only smart previews from the cloud, which are OK for editing on a screen but not the full resolution you would want for printing.

Sent using Tapatalk
Thanks for the suggestion. You have also highlighted part of the difficulty. Although the raw files are in the Adobe cloud because everything is imported through LR CC, the recommendation that I bring those files with me means I would have to know which files I intend to work on in advance. Truthfully, choosing the files was going to be part of the process in Canada. I have secondary cloud backups other than Adobe, so I could grab them from there, I suppose. But then I'm back to this all being more complicated than I'd like it to be. It's all down to the confusing relationship between LR CC and LR Classic CC, I suppose.

Umberto Cocca

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
My workflow includes only LR CLASSIC CC and I use LRCC only to upload my mobile device pictures to LRCCC. If there is a way to print directly from LRCC then the last glitch in the workflow is gone. Would you print the photos by yourself or would you bring your files to a lab / shop?

Sent using Tapatalk

Toolio

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
I print the photos myself. I have Canon Pro-100 printers in both locations.