• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Best Windows 11 laptop for Lightroom 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

andy_14

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 7
I need to upgrade my computer (from Windows 7). Do you have a recommendations for a new Win 11 Laptop for using LR5? Proven compatibility as well as processor, RAM / SSD memory and screen quality – 13.5 to 15.5 inches. I keep photos on an external drive so no need for huge capacity on the C-drive.
Thanks
Andy

If by LR5 you mean the legacy standalone version that is obsolete and no longer supported. It may not even install on a new Windows computer. You need to consider subscribing to Adobe's Lightroom Classic to continue your current LR5 efforts seamlessly.
My preference for a Windows Laptop would be one of the Microsoft Surface laptops. These have a set of components that Microsoft has chosen to work well together and as such will not have the component conflicts that plague most windows machines.
For the same reasons, I would recommend an Apple Mac as these do not have the hardware performance problems that many Windows Users encounter.

If by LR5 you mean the legacy standalone version that is obsolete and no longer supported. It may not even install on a new Windows computer. You need to consider subscribing to Adobe's Lightroom Classic to continue your current LR5 efforts seamlessly.
My preference for a Windows Laptop would be one of the Microsoft Surface laptops. These have a set of components that Microsoft has chosen to work well together and as such will not have the component conflicts that plague most windows machines.
For the same reasons, I would recommend an Apple Mac as these do not have the hardware performance problems that many Windows Users encounter.
Yes, it's the legacy version, which hasn't been supported for a while but isn't obsolete in the sense that it works as well as it did on Windows 7. However, my antivirus is not going to work with Windows 7 for much longer.
I wasn't persuaded by the Adobe subscription on cost grounds and then being a hostage to fortune for ever. It seems to be directed at professions who can recover costs. I wasn't really persuaded by freeware alternatives either.
I was thinking of Dell or HP as being the most solid. Interesting that you mention a Mac, which I like the idea of. I believe the screen quality is better than most Windows machines, although I thought compatibility would be more of an issue for most applications. I'll look into that and the Microsoft you mention. Thanks for your reply.

What is your budget and do you have an external monitor you plan on using with the laptop?

--Ken
I was thinking of under £1000. I did have larger external monitor at one time but got rid of it since I didn't like the colour balance. I could go back to one with a small laptop.

Technically it is obsolete because your anti virus won't work soon thus you need to upgrade your OS. That in turn may prevent LR5 from running. LR5 has not been supported since mid 2015. 8 year old software is real stretch in the computer world.

You won't be able to install LR5 on a newer Mac OS either. In 2019 Catalina went 64 bit and the LR5 install app is 32 bit. Catalina and previous OS versions are no longer supported.

You can only hang on for so long.

You won't be able to install LR5 on a newer Mac OS either. In 2019 Catalina went 64 bit and the LR5 install app is 32 bit. Catalina and previous OS versions are no longer supported.
That's not correct. LR5 (and even LR4) will install just fine on MacOS Monterey (haven't tested on Ventura yet). I think a lot of folks have assumed that because LR6 will not install on later MacOS systems, then earlier versions will also have the same problem, but that's not the case. As far as we can figure, the only part of LR6 that is 32-bit code is the activation process, the app itself is 64-bit....but earlier LR versions did not have that activation process, as that was introduced with LR6.

I do have both LR4 and LR5 installed on my Monterey system, they were both installed from scratch, i.e. they were not "migrated" from earlier MacOS version.

I stand to be corrected. Yes I assumed since LR6 wouldn’t the same would happen to previous versions.

This post raises a question for me. A relative is getting a Dell XPS 15 laptop with Windows 11 installed on it. She wants to use Lightroom 4.
Will this be a problem?

All I can say is that LR4 installs OK on Win10, but I don't know about Win11. Someone else may know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back